Good Morning, today is Wednesday, June 22.
🌊 Rhode Island’s first rainbow crosswalk leads you to Newport’s Equality Park, and there are two more on the way. Read More
🌊 The Town of Middletown is asking patrons to find other parking this morning and early afternoon due to maintenance of the Surfer’s End lot by Purgatory Road. The main beach parking lot and Triangle Lot A will remain open throughout the work.
🌊 Newport City Council returns to Council Chambers this evening for a Regular Council Meeting, here’s a look at what’s on the agenda.
🌊 Rock Legend Dave Mason will be at the Greenwich Odeum tonight. Read our interview with Mason here.
🌊 Theatre By The Sea continues its 89th season today with Footloose. Read More
🌊 Newport Jazz Festival has announced some of their special guests for “Celebrating George Wein, the closing set of their festival. Guests will include Trombone Shorty, Hiromi, Christian McBride, Cecile McLorin Salvant, Anat Cohen, Jon Faddis, Lew Tabackin, Randy Brecker, Lewis Nash, Christian Sands, Jay Leonhart, Regina Carter, and more. See the full lineup at newportjazz.org.
🌊 Speaking of Newport Jazz – Beginning Monday, Newport Jazz tickets will be available for purchase in person at Fort Adams Trust’s Gift Shop. There will be no fees for tickets purchased there. Ticket prices are $79 each – per day. A limited number of tickets are available for students ages 10 to 25 with current valid photo student IDs are $40 each, per day. Fort Adams Visitor Center Box Office Hours – 10 AM until 3 PM Daily.
🌊 Sail Newport will celebrate the annual Newport Regatta with live music from the Providence-based band “Professor Roots” on July 9 from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m at Sail Newport. Tickets are on sale now and open to the public.
What’s Up Today
- Today – Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 68. Southeast wind 5 to 9 mph.
- Tonight – Patchy fog after midnight. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 59. Southeast wind 6 to 8 mph.
- Today –Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SE 5 to 8 kt in the morning. Patchy fog before 9 am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – SSE wind 5 to 7 kt. Patchy fog after midnight. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 62°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:11 am | Sunset: 8:23 pm | 15 hours & 11 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 3:08 am & 3:45 pm | Low tide at 9:18 am & 10:41 pm.
- Moon: Waning Crescent, 23 days, 41% lighting.
Things To Do
- 8 am to 5 pm: Newport History Walking Tours: Golden to Gilded
- 9 am: Villa Palona Arboretum Tour
- 12 pm – Child & Family’s 8th Annual Townsend Luncheon 2022 held at OceanCliff
- 2 pm to 6 pm: Aquidneck Growers Market on Memorial Blvd.
- 4:15 pm: Senior Ballroom Dance Classes at Common Fence Point Community Center
- 6:35 pm: Newport Gulls Home Game at Cardines Field
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Team Trivia at 7:30 pm
- Fastnet Pub: Trivia at 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: The Duke at 4:30 pm, Aliens at 7:30 pm
- Landing: Mark Flynn at 1 pm, The Naticks at 4:30 pm, Jim Devlin at 8 pm.
- One Pelham East: Adam Go from 4 pm to 7:30 pm
City & Government
- Middletown: Middletown Technical Review Committee at 9 am
- Newport: Newport City Council at 6:30 pm
- Portsmouth: Portsmouth Water and Fire District at 7 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Personnel Board at 5:30 pm, Tiverton Solar Ordinance Advisory Committee at 6:30 pm
The Latest from WUN
- Obituary: Dorothy May Carpenter
- Obituary: Louise E. Smith
- Obituary: Eileen E. Ferreira
- Obituary: Christine Ann Block
- Obituary: James R. Amaral, Sr.
Rhode Island Monthly – Inside the Newport Bermuda Race