The latest What’s Up Newp newsletter is here, sign up below to receive this in your inbox daily!
>>At the weekly COVID-19 press briefing yesterday, Rhode Island Commerce Secretary Stefan Pryor announced a lift on some business restrictions;
- Capacity at restaurants will increase from 50% to 66% beginning today.
- Capacity at gyms and fitness centers will increase beginning today from one person per 125 square feet to one person per 100 square feet. For gyms and fitness centers that take things outdoors, there is no capacity limit. Masks and social distancing still remain in place for both outdoor and indoor fitness classes.
- Funeral homes beginning today are able to host 30 people for indoor services and 50 people for outdoor services.
- Pryor expects the capacity for catered events to increase at the beginning of April to allow 100 people for indoor events and 150 people for outdoor events.
>> Bike Newport received some national recognition this week when the League of American Bicyclists named them their Advocacy Organization of the Year for 2020.
>> Put it in your calendar now foodies, Newport Restaurant Week returns to dozens of restaurants in Newport and Bristol Counties Friday, April 9 – Sunday, April 18.
>> 12 Metre Cafe, Buskers Pub & Restaurants, Fluke Newport, Giusto, The Pub at Two Mile Corner, and Portsmouth Publick House are among 52 Rhode Island restaurants that will receive $5,000 COVID-19 relief grants from DoorDash.
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Happy Birthday today to Phil Kane, David Manuel, and Tim Bugbee!
- Today – Sunny, with a high near 34. Northwest wind 14 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.
- Tonight – Partly cloudy, with a low around 23. West wind 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.
- Small Craft Advisory until March 6, 04:00 AM EST
- Today – WNW wind 12 to 15 kt, with gusts as high as 25 kt. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – W wind 9 to 12 kt, with gusts as high as 21 kt. Partly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 37°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:12 am | Sunset: 5:41 pm
- High tide at 12:14 am & 12:41 pm | Low tide at 5:57 am and 5:45 pm
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 21 days, 61% lighting
Things To Do
- 12 pm to 4 pm – Figure It Out at Coastal Contemporary Gallery
- 12 pm to 5 pm – Hot Chocolate Bar at The Chanler at Cliff Walk
- 4:50 pm – Newport Winter Foodies Stroll
- 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm – Chanler Yurts at The Chanler at Cliff Walk
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- Nothing scheduled.
- Nothing scheduled.
The Latest WUN Headlines
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular What’s Up Newp Stories Right Now
- 52 Rhode Island restaurants will receive $5,000 COVID-19 Restuarant Relief Grants from DoorDash
- Obituary | Robert “Curt” Curtis Gross Jr.
- CCRI now accepting applicants to its free maritime career training program
- What Sold: 19 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (Feb. 21 – Mar. 1)
- Save & Stay: ‘Hotel Week RI’ returns April 17 – 30
COVID-19 in Rhode Island
Data as of March 4.
>>Boating Industry – Dates announced for 50th annual Newport International Boat Show
We’ll See You Out There
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals