Michael J. Sullivan
1932 – 2021
Michael J. Sullivan, 89 of Newport, RI passed away on February 25, 2021 at RI Hospital. He was the husband of Patricia A. (Donovan) Sullivan of 68 years.
Born in Newport, RI on January 7, 1932 he was the son of the late Michael F. and Carrie (Frederick) Sullivan.
Mike attended St. Mary’s School and De La Salle Academy. He served in the US Army during the Korean War Conflict. He received several medals including the Combat Infantry Badge and the Bronze Service Star. After his service with the US Army, he worked as a carpenter apprentice and later a plumber and pipefitter with the Local 51 Union with D. Dixon Donovan Plumbing & Heating until retiring in 1994.
Mike was a founding member of the Friendly Sons of Newport, a longtime member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, The Irish American Club of Newport and the Aquidneck Island All Vets Club of Middletown.
He was a communicant of St. Augustin’s Church. Mike especially enjoyed all the family gatherings and time with his family along with boating, fishing, and joy of his gardening.
Mike was a brother of the late James P. Sullivan and Frederick A. Sullivan.
He is survived by his five children, James M. Sullivan, Sandra (Stephen) Roderiques of Portsmouth, William P. “Bid” Sullivan of Middletown, Susan Sullivan of Newport, and Karen Sousa of Portsmouth. His grandchildren, Christie (Brett) Hammons, Brittney Brow, Michael Sullivan, Christian Roderiques, Lily Botelho, Ryan Botelho, and Madison Sousa. Great-grandchildren, Nora Hammons and Jake Hammons, his sister Marilyn “Happy” Bunnewith of Newport and several nieces and nephews.
Visiting hours will be held Monday, March 8 from 4:00-7:00 pm at the O’Neill-Hayes Funeral Home, 465 Spring St, Newport. Due to the current restrictions, only 15 people are allowed into the funeral home at a time, there may be an extended wait time. A Mass of Christian burial will be held Tuesday, March 9 at St. Augustin’s Church, corner of Carroll and Harrison Avenues, Newport at 10:00AM. Burial St. Columba Cemetery. Seating is limited in church. Masks and social distancing will be required.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Potter League for Animals, 87 Oliphant Ln, Middletown, RI 02842.
Mass of Christian Burial
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations
Potter League for Animals, 87 Oliphant Ln, Middletown, RI 02842.
Source: O’Neill Hayes Funeral Home
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- FirstWorks Live series at Roger Williams Park continues with Thea Hopkins Sunday, September 19th
- Live Music Society announces Cat Henry as Executive Director
- Rep. Ruggiero to lead CRMC study commission
- Norman Bird Sanctuary welcomes fall with harvest season of events
- Clear the Shelters: Potter League to host pet adoption drive on Saturday
- RI Foundation honors Wickford lawyer with highest honor
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Obituary: Florence Seibert
- Obituary: Richard B. Kyle
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals