Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Good Morning, today is Saturday, June 11.
🌊 Congrats to Rogers High School Class of 2022 on their graduation last night!
🌊 On Friday afternoon, the City of Newport was advising residents that certain online services and functions will be temporarily unavailable while IT personnel work to resolve an ongoing disruption impacting the City’s internal servers.
🌊 On the market for a home in Newport County? Check out these 20 open houses that are happening this weekend.
🌊 Catch up on all that happened at the Rhode Island General Assembly this week with these highlights.
🌊 For the first time in more than eight years, Rhode Island is getting a new medical cannabis compassion center – Sweetspot Dispensary in South Kingstown.
🌊 Kevin Beachem, head brewer at Taproot Brewing Company at Newport Vineyards was an expert for this story on UPROXX – Craft Beer Experts Reveal Their Favorite Lagers On Earth
🌊 Naval Undersea Warfare Center Division Newport will hold a hiring event for science, technology, engineering and mathematics and information technology (IT) careers on Wednesday, June 29.
🌊 Water Watch: Gooseberry Beach is still on Rhode Island Department of Health’s (RIDOH) closure list due to high bacteria levels. It is currently the only beach closed in the state due to high bacteria.
RIDOH also advises avoiding Almy Pond in Newport due to blue-green algae.
Partly treated sewage is running into the Blackstone River in Woonsocket, avoid the area around the Woonsocket Regional Wastewater Treatment Facility.
🌊 Here’s what the Rhode Island Department of Transportation and Rhode Island Turnpike & Bridge Authority has on tap for construction, delays, and closures over the next week.
What’s Up Today
- Today – Partly sunny, with a high near 74. Light and variable wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the morning.
- Tonight – A slight chance of showers after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60. Southwest wind 3 to 6 mph. The chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Today – Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming S 5 to 8 kt in the afternoon. Partly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – Variable winds 5 kt or less. A slight chance of showers after midnight. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 61°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:10 am | Sunset: 8:19 pm | 15 hours & 8 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 5:28 am & 6:01 pm | Low tide at 11:01 am.
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 10.8 days, 84% lighting.
- 20 Open Houses to check out this weekend in Newport County (June 10 – 12)
- ‘Six Picks’ best strawberry picking in Rhode Island 2022
- Six Picks Music: The best local music this weekend (June 10-12)
- Six Picks Events: What’s Up in RI this weekend (June 10-12)
- 39th Annual Black Ships Festival to take place this weekend
- St. Columba’s will host its 29th Annual Garden Party on June 11
- Newport Polo to host its Newport Cup on Saturday, an annual duel of ‘Polo Masters’ vs ‘Hotshots’
Things To Do
- 8 am to 12 pm – Annual Camp Ramleh Yard Sale at St. George’s School
- 9 am to 5 pm – British Motorcars in Bristol
- 9 am – June Tree Walk: Trees and Shrubs of Salve Regina at Salve Regina University
- 9 am to 12 pm – Aquidneck Growers Market at Embrace Home Loans
- 10 am to 5 pm – Newport Car Museum Hoods Up Weekend
- 12 pm to 4 pm – Ketel One Botanicals Spritz Bar at Hotel Viking
- 12:15 pm, 2:05 pm, & 3:55 pm – Coastal Queen’s Spring Lighthouse Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 2 pm – SUMMER 2022 TIKI KICK-OFF PARTY at Reject Beer Co.
- 2:50 pm – Coastal Queen’s Spring Lighthouse Cruises departing from Jamestown Village
- 5 pm – Newport International Polo Series
- 5:30 pm – Fashion Forward: From Japan to America at Rough Point
- 6 pm – Paint & Sip @ Newport Art House!
- 6:30 pm – Black Ships Gala at Ochre Court
- 7 pm & 9 pm: Improv with the Bit Players at The Firehouse Theater
- 7 pm to 10 pm – Ketel Cafe at Hill Market at Hotel Viking
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- @ The Deck – GRW Trio from 1 pm to 4 pm, Live music from 9 pm to 12 am
- Bar & Board: Mel at 7:30 pm
- Blue Anchor Grill: Live music at 6:30 pm
- Buskers: Brian Twohey at 9 pm
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10 pm
- Dockside: Fast Times at 10 pm
- Greenvale Vineyards: Dick Lupino’s Jazz Quartet from 1 pm to 4 pm
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Live music from 6 pm to 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Downton Abbey 2: A New Era at 4:30 pm & 7:30 pm
- Landing: Nick Sproviero at 1 pm, CBD at 4:30 pm, and Jake Kulak Band at 8 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 6 pm to 10 pm
- Landing: Jay Parker at 1 pm, Jim Devlin at 4:30 pm, Chelley Knights at 8 pm
- Midtown Oyster Bar: The Travelin’ Wanna B’s at 9:30 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: The Teleydnes from 8 pm to 11:30 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Chopville at 9 pm
- One Pelham East: Live music at 4:30 pm, Never In Vegas at 8:30 pm, DJ at 11 pm
- Riptide: Blockhead at 9:30 pm
- Shops at Long Wharf: Black Lights from 1 pm to 5 pm
- Speakeasy: Live music at 10 pm
- The Firehouse Theatre: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 7 pm & 9 pm
- The Reef: Live music from 1 pm to 4 pm, Live music from 5 pm to 8 pm
- Top of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm & 10:30 pm
City & Government
- No meetings are scheduled.
The Latest from WUN
Regenerative Medical Clinic, Dumpster Business, Chopmist Charlie’s, and other businesses currently for sale in Rhode Island
Financial Times – A summer in Newport, the last bastion of America’s gilded age
URI Today – URI economist: R.I. continues expansion in April