Today’s newsletter is 859 words — a 4-minute read.
🌙 Today is Tuesday, December 20. The last full day of fall, as the Winter Solstice begins at 4:47 pm tomorrow. In honor of the Winter Solstice, the Tiverton Land Trust will host a Winter Solstice Tree Lighting tomorrow, the shortest day of the year, at Pardon Gray. Read More
🎥 The Christmas movie fun continues at The JPT this week with a screening of Die Hard tonight, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation tomorrow night, The Santa Clause on Thursday, and White Christmas on Friday. More Info
🥡 499 E. Main Road (currently The Food Shack) is available for lease. The “beautifully designed turnkey restaurant” is available now for $8,000/month plus utilities.
🎖️ Soldiers from Rhode Island are sending holiday greetings back home from overseas, where they are currently deployed on various missions. Watch
🗓️ Newport is gearing up for a year full of exciting events in 2023, starting with the annual Newport Polar Bear Plunge on January 1. Save the date for these 30+ events in 2023.
🎉 No matter how you choose to spend your New Year’s Eve, Newport has something for everyone to ring in 2023 in style → What’s Up on New Year’s Eve in Newport
🎄 You can look forward to a beautiful Christmas Day in Newport, with mostly sunny skies and a high of 29 degrees forecast for the holiday. The west wind is expected to blow at a comfortable 15 to 18 mph, making for perfect outdoor holiday activity weather.
What’sUpNewp is a local, independent newsroom that covers Newport and Rhode Island. As a community-driven news source, What’sUpNewp plays a vital role in keeping residents informed about the issues that matter most to them. By supporting What’sUpNewp, you can help ensure that important local news and information is available to all members of the community. Read More
The Latest on What’sUpNewp
Recent Local Obituaries
What’s Up Today
Expect sunny skies and pleasant temperatures today, with a high of 40 degrees Fahrenheit and a low of 26 degrees Fahrenheit tonight. The northwest wind will blow at 8 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Marine conditions will also be favorable, with NNW winds ranging from 7 to 12 kt and seas at 1 ft or less. Tonight, winds will shift to the north at 5 to 7 kt, with mostly clear skies and calm seas. The coastal water temperature is a chilly 47 degrees Fahrenheit.
Sunrise will occur at 7:07 am and sunset at 4:18 pm, providing approximately 9 hours and 10 minutes of sunlight. High tide will occur at 4:37 am and 5:01 pm, with low tide at 10:48 am and 10:30 pm. The moon will be in the waning crescent phase, with 25.7 days elapsed and 16% lighting.
Things To Do
- Christmas In Newport
- 4 pm: Children’s Make, Bake & Give – Baking & Decorating Sugar Cookies for the Holidays with Newport Cooks
- Things to do this week in and around Newport: Dec. 19 – 25
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Fifth Element: Randy Robbins from 7 pm to 10 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: She Said at 4 pm, Die Hard at 7:30 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Trivia from 7 pm to 9 pm
- Newport Playhouse: A Christmas for Carol at 11 am
City & Government
- Jamestown: Zoning Board of Review at 7 pm
- Middletown: Juvenile Hearing Board at 5:45 pm, Affordable Housing Committee at 6 pm
- Newport: Historic District Commission at 6:30 pm
- Portsmouth: Board of Canvassers at 3 pm, Water and Fire District at 7 pm
- Tiverton: Vicious Dog Hearings at 10 am
- See the full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
Winter Solstice Tree Lighting, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation Party, Sparkling Lights at The Breakers, and more!