Our site doesn’t have a paywall and all of our content and newsletters are always free to read.
Instead, reader support and advertising from local businesses power our locally owned, independent newsroom. If you like what we do, a contribution of $8/month means more than you’d think, and any amount helps.
Good Morning & Happy April!
First off, just a reminder that today is April 1, a.k.a. April Fools’ Day. Be careful of the pranks out there.
>> In a non-joking matter, today (4/01) is 401Gives Day. 401Gives is Rhode Island’s statewide day of giving and the goal today is to raise at least $1.5 million for nonprofits across the state. As of 6:50 am, more than 2,260 donors have already raised more than $512,000 for 353 organizations across the state. Visit www.401gives.org today to support your favorite and/or a local nonprofit.
Cortney Nicolato, President and CEO of United Way of Rhode Island, will join What’s Up Newp for a live virtual video conversation today at noon to talk about and to give an update on 401Gives. Watch here.
>> Governor McKee and the Rhode Island Department of Health will host their weekly COVID-19 press briefing today at 1 pm. Watch it live on our website as it happens.
>> Re-Opening Today – Surf Club, Frosty Freez, the Ice Cream Shop at Anna D’s, and the International Tennis Hall Of Fame.
>> Newport Daffodil Days “month” kicks off today. Details here.
>> Easter is this Sunday. If you’re looking to dine-out or grab take-out for Easter Brunch or Dinner, here’s a look at what restaurants are offering – Newport County restaurants serving up Easter brunch, dinner on April 4
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Thursday, April 1
~ Happy Birthday today to Kara Montalbano, Ethan Leary, Brian Cunha, Jenn Crellin, and Scott Williams!
- Today – A chance of showers between 10am and 3pm. Patchy dense fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 52. South wind 8 to 16 mph becoming north in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Tonight – Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. North wind 14 to 16 mph.
- Small Craft Advisory until April 1, 04:00 PM EDT
- Today – W wind 7 to 10 kt becoming NNW 11 to 14 kt in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 25 kt. A chance of showers, mainly before 2pm. Patchy dense fog before 11am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – NNW wind 12 to 14 kt, with gusts as high as 21 kt. Mostly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 42°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:27 am | Sunset: 7:11 pm | 12 hours and 44 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 11:30 am & 11:58 pm | Low tide at 4:49 am and 4:42 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 19 days, 85% lighting.
Things To Do
- 1 pm – Lecture: A History of Design Emergencies with The Preservation Society of Newport County
- 5:30 pm – Lecture: Lazaretto: How One City Used an Unpopular Quarantine Based on Disputed Science to Accommodate Immigrants and Prevent Epidemics with The Preservation Society of Newport County
- 7 pm – Virtual Presentation: “State of Antisemitism Today” with Touro Synagogue Foundation
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
- Perfumes (Les Parfums)
- Exhibition On Screen: Easter In Art
- Long Live Rock: The Chaos
- National Theatre Live: War Horse
City & Government
- 4:30 pm – Newport City Council COVID-19 Workshop
- 5 pm – Newport School Committee
- 6 pm – Newport Critical Area Review Committee
- 7 pm – Newport Historic District Commission
- 7 pm – Portsmouth Tree Commission
- 7 pm – Tiverton Budget Committee
- 12 pm – WATCH: A conversation with Cortney Nicolato, President and CEO of United Way of Rhode Island (April 1 at 12 pm)
- 1 pm – Governor McKee, Rhode Island Department of Health COVID-19 briefing
The Latest Headlines on WhatsUpNewp.com
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- What Sold: 25 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (March 22 – 28)
- 18 famous actors and actresses that have ties to Newport
- ‘Swinburne’ on Pelham Street in Newport sells for $4.55 million
- Coventry, Westerly, West Greenwich, and South Kingstown to host special elections on May 4
- Now Hiring: 100+ job opportunities available in and around Newport right now (March 29)
- AP – Rhode Island reports high daily increase of COVID-19 cases
- Secretary of State – Secretary Gorbea Warns RI Businesses of Misleading Mailing Charging Excessive Fees
- ABC 6 – Portsmouth Native, St. Andrews’ Product Cole Swider to Transfer from Villanova
- DEM – DEM Stocking Additional Waterways for April 7th Opening Day of Trout Fishing Season in RI
- URI Today – URI College of Business raises $1.4M for initial phase of Ballentine Hall expansion, renovations
- The Brown Daily Herald – R.I. homelessness was on the rise before COVID-19, HUD report says
The Latest: COVID-19 / Vaccine
Support What’s Up Newp
Support locally-owned, independent journalism. Today we’re asking you to consider a voluntary subscription to What’s Up Newp starting at $5 a month. Over the last year, our local business revenue has been impacted and we really do rely on reader support!