Good Morning & Happy April!
First off, just a reminder that today is April 1, a.k.a. April Fools’ Day. Be careful of the pranks out there.
>> In a non-joking matter, today (4/01) is 401Gives Day. 401Gives is Rhode Island’s statewide day of giving and the goal today is to raise at least $1.5 million for nonprofits across the state. As of 6:50 am, more than 2,260 donors have already raised more than $512,000 for 353 organizations across the state. Visit www.401gives.org today to support your favorite and/or a local nonprofit.
Cortney Nicolato, President and CEO of United Way of Rhode Island, will join What’s Up Newp for a live virtual video conversation today at noon to talk about and to give an update on 401Gives. Watch here.
>> Governor McKee and the Rhode Island Department of Health will host their weekly COVID-19 press briefing today at 1 pm. Watch it live on our website as it happens.
>> Re-Opening Today – Surf Club, Frosty Freez, the Ice Cream Shop at Anna D’s, and the International Tennis Hall Of Fame.
>> Newport Daffodil Days “month” kicks off today. Details here.
>> Easter is this Sunday. If you’re looking to dine-out or grab take-out for Easter Brunch or Dinner, here’s a look at what restaurants are offering – Newport County restaurants serving up Easter brunch, dinner on April 4
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Thursday, April 1
~ Happy Birthday today to Kara Montalbano, Ethan Leary, Brian Cunha, Jenn Crellin, and Scott Williams!
- Today – A chance of showers between 10am and 3pm. Patchy dense fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 52. South wind 8 to 16 mph becoming north in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Tonight – Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. North wind 14 to 16 mph.
- Small Craft Advisory until April 1, 04:00 PM EDT
- Today – W wind 7 to 10 kt becoming NNW 11 to 14 kt in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 25 kt. A chance of showers, mainly before 2pm. Patchy dense fog before 11am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – NNW wind 12 to 14 kt, with gusts as high as 21 kt. Mostly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 42°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:27 am | Sunset: 7:11 pm | 12 hours and 44 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 11:30 am & 11:58 pm | Low tide at 4:49 am and 4:42 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 19 days, 85% lighting.
Things To Do
- 1 pm – Lecture: A History of Design Emergencies with The Preservation Society of Newport County
- 5:30 pm – Lecture: Lazaretto: How One City Used an Unpopular Quarantine Based on Disputed Science to Accommodate Immigrants and Prevent Epidemics with The Preservation Society of Newport County
- 7 pm – Virtual Presentation: “State of Antisemitism Today” with Touro Synagogue Foundation
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
- Perfumes (Les Parfums)
- Exhibition On Screen: Easter In Art
- Long Live Rock: The Chaos
- National Theatre Live: War Horse
City & Government
- 4:30 pm – Newport City Council COVID-19 Workshop
- 5 pm – Newport School Committee
- 6 pm – Newport Critical Area Review Committee
- 7 pm – Newport Historic District Commission
- 7 pm – Portsmouth Tree Commission
- 7 pm – Tiverton Budget Committee
- 12 pm – WATCH: A conversation with Cortney Nicolato, President and CEO of United Way of Rhode Island (April 1 at 12 pm)
- 1 pm – Governor McKee, Rhode Island Department of Health COVID-19 briefing
The Latest Headlines on WhatsUpNewp.com
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- What Sold: 25 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (March 22 – 28)
- 18 famous actors and actresses that have ties to Newport
- ‘Swinburne’ on Pelham Street in Newport sells for $4.55 million
- Coventry, Westerly, West Greenwich, and South Kingstown to host special elections on May 4
- Now Hiring: 100+ job opportunities available in and around Newport right now (March 29)
- AP – Rhode Island reports high daily increase of COVID-19 cases
- Secretary of State – Secretary Gorbea Warns RI Businesses of Misleading Mailing Charging Excessive Fees
- ABC 6 – Portsmouth Native, St. Andrews’ Product Cole Swider to Transfer from Villanova
- DEM – DEM Stocking Additional Waterways for April 7th Opening Day of Trout Fishing Season in RI
- URI Today – URI College of Business raises $1.4M for initial phase of Ballentine Hall expansion, renovations
- The Brown Daily Herald – R.I. homelessness was on the rise before COVID-19, HUD report says
The Latest: COVID-19 / Vaccine
Support What’s Up Newp
Support locally-owned, independent journalism. Today we’re asking you to consider a voluntary subscription to What’s Up Newp starting at $5 a month. Over the last year, our local business revenue has been impacted and we really do rely on reader support!