The latest What’s Up Newp newsletter is here. Sign up below and we’ll deliver this right to your inbox daily for free.
Subscribe to our newsletter
>> Governor McKee will announce his Lt. Governor nominee this morning at 10 am. According to multiple media reports, McKee plans to nominate Providence City Council President Sabina Matos.
>> As Women’s History Month ends, we continue to recognize the incredible contributions by so many Rhode Island women in every aspect of our lives. Today, we want to mention several women who have been remarkable in what they’ve accomplished. This is just a small sampling of the remarkable women that have called Rhode Island home. [Story]
>> Where were you during the flood of 2010? It was 11 years ago today that flooding crippled parts of the state and shut down the Warwick Mall and other businesses for months. [Story]
>> 401Gives, Rhode Island’s statewide day of giving, is tomorrow! Yesterday we had the chance to have a conversation with Heather Hole Strout, Executive Director of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center (MLK Center) about 401Gives and the ongoing work at the MLK Center. [Watch Interview]
>> Speaking of the MLK Center, throughout April The Greater Newport Chamber of Commerce will run its annual Ton of Love food drive to benefit the food pantry at the MLK Center. [Story]
>> Newport City Council will host a workshop this evening at 5 pm for the purpose of discussing food trucks in the city. [Story]
Have a good Wednesday,
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Wednesday, March 31
~ Happy Birthday today to Jamie Lehane, Steven Rodrigues, Bill Willis, Lawrence Hawkins, Allie Mosher, and Don Farias!
- Today – Mostly cloudy, with a high near 55. South wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
- Tonight – Rain before 2 am, then rain and possibly a thunderstorm between 2 am and 3 am, then rain after 3 am. Patchy dense fog after 9 pm. Low around 47. South wind 11 to 16 mph. The chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three-quarters of an inch possible.
- Small Craft Advisory in effect from March 31, 10:00 AM EDT until March 31, 10:00 PM EDT
- Today – S wind 9 to 13 kt, with gusts as high as 24 kt. A slight chance of rain after 5 pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – S wind 10 to 14 kt, with gusts as high as 21 kt. Rain before 2 am, then rain and possibly a thunderstorm between 2 am and 3 am, then rain after 3 am. Patchy dense fog after 9 pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 41°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:28 am | Sunset: 7:10 pm | 12 hours and 42 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 10:36 am & 11:02 pm | Low tide at 4:01 am and 3:58 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 17 days, 92% lighting.
Things To Do
- Nothing scheduled
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
- Perfumes (Les Parfums)
- Exhibition On Screen: Easter In Art
- Long Live Rock: The Chaos
- National Theatre Live: War Horse
City & Government
- 9 am – Middletown Technical Review Committee
- 4:30 pm – Middletown Personnel Board
- 5 pm – Middletown School Building Committee
- 6 pm – Jamestown School Committee
The Latest WUN Headlines
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- What Sold: 25 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (March 22 – 28)
- 18 famous actors and actresses that have ties to Newport
- ‘Swinburne’ on Pelham Street in Newport sells for $4.55 million
- Coventry, Westerly, West Greenwich, and South Kingstown to host special elections on May 4
- Now Hiring: 100+ job opportunities available in and around Newport right now (March 29)
The Latest: COVID-19 / Vaccine
- Ida Lewis featured in The extraordinary lives of America’s ‘bravest women’ [National Geographic]
- Sen. Jonathon Acosta and Rep. José F. Batista have introduced legislation to significantly reform current police practices and prevent misconduct. [General Assembly]
- During the first 11 months of 2020, 256 Rhode Islanders lost their lives to a fentanyl-involved overdose, accounting for 73% of all overdose deaths during this time. [Department of Health]
Support What’s Up Newp
Delivering worthwhile local news is truly a community-wide effort. It takes a dedicated crew and a loyal readership working together to make it happen. If you appreciate what we do, please consider supporting us today!
When you support What’s Up Newp, you support your community.
The Latest From WUN
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend
- AARP Analysis: COVID-19 deaths and cases in Rhode Island nursing homes increased from August to September