Good Morning, today is Saturday, August 13.
🌊 Third Beach has gotten the ok from the Rhode Island Department of Health to reopen for swimming because bacteria counts have returned to safe levels.
🌊 Governor Dan McKee, state and local officials joined Fortuitous Partners to break ground yesterday on phase one of Tidewater Landing. Phase one of the mixed-use riverfront development project, located on the Seekonk River, includes a professional soccer stadium and entertainment venue. [RI.Gov]
🌊 One person is safe after a boat fire off the coast of Block Island. [WPRI]
🌊 On the market for a new home? Tyler Bernadyn has a look at the 27 open houses happening this weekend.
🌊 Lobby Muddy Fest will host its 3rd annual charity event today.
🌊 Drop into the garden at Whitehorne House Museum today for Whitehorne Day: Makers Past and Present, an afternoon of free hands-on activities for the whole family!
🌊 It’s a big day at the Newport Art Museum as they host their 29th Annual Wet Paint!
🌊 It’s Newport versus Palm Beach at the Newport International Polo Grounds today.
🌊 It’s summer in Newport and time to party! Join us Wednesday and Thursday nights for a couple of special event parties;
- Wednesday, August 17 – A screening of Point Break, live music by We Own Land, and an in-house beer tasting with Rejects Beer Co. Tickets and More Info
- Thursday, August 18 – A screening of Strange Brew, preceded by a beer tasting from Narragansett Beer, Ragged Island Brewing, and Rejects Beer Co. in the JPT lobby! Tickets and More Info
Have a great Saturday,
Support: Consider supporting us with a one-time, monthly, or annual contribution. What’sUpNewp relies on reader support so we can continue to provide you with reliable, independent reporting for our Newport County and Rhode Island communities. Learn More
Advertise: Promote your business to our 140,000 monthly readers and 26,000 email subscribers. Includes reporting on impressions, clicks, and cities of our readers. Huge reach on and off the island. Get pricing.
What’s Up Today
- Today – Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 78. North wind 8 to 10 mph becoming east in the afternoon.
- Tonight – Mostly clear, with a low around 60. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
- Today – N wind 7 to 9 kt becoming ESE in the afternoon. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – Variable winds 5 kt or less. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 71°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:52 am | Sunset: 7:47 pm | 13 hours & 55 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 9:27 am & 9:52 pm | Low tide at 3:07 am & 3:09 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 15.8 days, 99% lighting.
Things To Do
- 9 am to 12 pm: Aquidneck Growers Market at Embrace Home Loans
- 9 am to 5 pm: 2022 Eastern RI 4-H Fair at Glen Farm
- 9:30 am: Yoga for All at The Norman Bird Sanctuary
- 10 am to 5 pm: Newport Car Museum Hoods Up Weekend
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Common Burying Ground
- 12 pm to 4 pm: Ketel One Botanicals Spritz Bar at Hotel Viking
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 2 pm: Newport History Walking Tours: Discover Colonial Newport
- 2 pm to 6 pm: Lobby Muddy Fest at On The Docks
- 3 pm: Whitehorne Day: Makers Past and Present at Whirehorne House Museum
- 5 pm: Newport International Polo Series
- 6 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 7 pm to 10 pm: Ketel Cafe at Hill Market at Hotel Viking
- 7 pm & 9 pm: Improv with the Bit Players at The Firehouse Theater
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Bar & Board: Mel at 7:30 pm
- Blue Anchor Grill: Steve Rodrigues from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm
- Buskers: Brian Twohey at 9 pm
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10 pm
- Clarke Cooke House: Live music at 10 pm
- Dockside: Fast Times at 9 pm
- Fifth Element: Lois Vaughan Jazz Trio from 11 am to 3 pm
- Greenvale Vineyards: Dick Lupino & friends from 1 pm to 4 pm
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille: Live music from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Gurney’s: Chelley Knight Band from 6 pm to 9 pm at The Pineapple Club, DJ from 5 pm to 10 pm on The Firepit Deck
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Live music from 6 pm to 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: High Society at 4:30 pm, Marcel The Shell With Shoes On at 7:30 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 6 pm to 10 pm
- Landing: The Naticks at 1 pm, Jim Devlin at 4:30 pm, Blockhead at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Heavy Rescue from 8 pm to 11:30 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Never In Vegas at 9 pm
- O’Brien’s Pub: C Gray the DJ from 10 pm to close
- One Pelham East: Live music at 4:30 pm, live music at 8:30 pm, DJ at 11 pm
- Rusty’s Bar & Grille: My Joe Called Life at 8 pm
- Shops at Long Wharf: In Tandem from 1 pm to 5 pm
- Speakeasy: Live music at 10 pm
- The Firehouse Theatre: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 7 pm & 9 pm
- The Reef: Brian Scott from 1 pm to 3 pm, Nate C. from 4 pm to 7 pm, OutCry from 7 pm to 10 pm
- Top of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm & 10:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- Portsmouth: Prudence Island Water District at 10 am
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.