The latest What’s Up Newp newsletter is here. Sign up below to get this story, and others, in your inbox daily!
>> The Nitro Bar is opening a second location in Newport. Full Story
>> What’s Up Newp is keeping an eye on the status of major events that are scheduled in Newport County and across Rhode Island in 2021. Keep an eye here (updates coming in daily) – Here’s the status of major Newport County and Rhode Island events in 2021
>> Newport City Council will host a regular council meeting at 6:30 pm this evening. Here’s what’s on the agenda. Tune in to our website or Facebook Page as it happens to watch the meeting live.
>> What’s Up Newp on Tuesday launched a new Facebook Group for those interested in or looking for, the latest obituaries from Newport County. Follow the group here – Newport County Obituaries.
>> Speaking of Facebook Groups, don’t forget to join our other group – Residents of Newport, Middletown, and Portsmouth.
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Wednesday, March 10, 2021
>> Happy Birthday today to PJ Finn, Daryl Kapalczynski, Chris Capuano, Hootie Fogg, and Caroline Leitao!
>> Today is National Pack Your Lunch Day, Mario Day, National Landline Telephone Day, National No Smoking Day, and National Ranch Day!
>> On This Day: According to Hamodia, the daily newspaper of Torah Jewry, the Jewish community of Newport, R.I., bought land for a cemetery in 5437/1677.
- Today – Sunny, with a high near 46. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the afternoon.
- Tonight – Increasing clouds, with a low around 39. South wind around 6 mph.
- Today – Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming S 5 to 8 kt in the afternoon. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – Variable winds 5 kt or less. Increasing clouds. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 37°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:04 am | Sunset: 5:47 pm
- High tide at 5:36 am & 5:55 pm | Low tide at 12:03 pm and 11:50 pm
- Moon: Waning Crescent, 26 days, 12% lighting
Things To Do
- 12 pm to 4 pm – Figure It Out at Coastal Contemporary Gallery
- 12 pm to 5 pm – Hot Chocolate Bar at The Chanler at Cliff Walk
- 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm – Chanler Yurts at The Chanler at Cliff Walk
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- 8:30 am – Portsmouth Prevention Coalition
- 4 pm – Newport Cemetery Advisory Commission
- 4:30 pm – Middletown Economic Development Advisory Committee
- 5 pm – Jamestown Harbor Management Commission
- 5 pm – Portsmouth Tax Assessment Review Board
- 6 pm – Middletown Planning Board
- 6:30 pm – Newport City Council
- 7 pm – Portsmouth Planning Board
- 7 pm – Tiverton Cemetery Commission
- 7 pm – Portsmouth Solid Waste/Recycling Committee
- 7 pm – Little Compton School Committee
- 6:30 pm – Newport City Council meeting.
The Latest WUN Headlines
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories On WhatsUpNewp.com Right Now
- Here’s the status of major Newport County and Rhode Island events in 2021
- What Sold: 23 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (March 1 – 8)
- Obituary | James William Baccari
- 37 hotels across Rhode Island will participate in the 2nd annual Hotel Week RI
- Rumford Pet Express acquires Pet Value stores; opens in Middletown, Barrington, Cumberland, and Wakefield
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
COVID-19 in Rhode Island
The Classic Cars Journal – Shows re-emerging as global pandemic restrictions ease
Hard to believe it, but What’s Up Newp turns 9 years old on Friday. To think of what we started as, and why, to what we are today is just remarkable. I’m sure I’ll have more to say on Friday but thank you to all of our readers and advertisers for their ongoing support. You all truly do make our locally owned, independent newsroom possible!
Have a favorite story, memory, feature, or moment with us over the last nine years? Let me know in the comments or by emailing Ryan@whatsupnewp.com. I’d love to hear. .