Good Morning, today is Friday, July 1.
🌊 With the arrival of July comes Newport Classical. The 54th annual festival runs from July 1-17, presenting 24 concerts over 18 days. WUN’s Ken Abrams recently caught up with Newport Classical Executive Director Gillian Friedman-Fox about what to expect this year. Read The Interview
🌊 On the market for a new home? WUN’s Tyler Bernadyn has a roundup of the 23 open houses happening in Newport County this weekend
🌊 Some of the new Newport City Council At-Large candidates have shared with What’sUpNewp why they’re running – Kate Jessup, Ryan Patrick Kelley, Stephanie Smyth, and Susan Taylor. Ten candidates in total threw their names in the ring for the four available At-Large seats. See the list.
🌊 Fireworks start popping up tonight across Rhode Island, here’s the full list – Where to find 4th of July fireworks in Rhode Island
🌊 Grab your blanket, a basket of snacks, and your favorite people to celebrate Friday with a Puerto Rican music performance on the lawn of Rough Point at 6:30 pm this evening.
🌊 The Bit Players, Newport’s improv comedy troupe, is taking the weekend off, but you can still find big laughs this evening at Rejects Brewing Co. Their comedy night will feature Anthony Devito, Sam Rubinoff, Mark Anthony Lewis, and Glenn Ginish.
What’s Up Today
- Today – Patchy fog before 7 am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 79. Southwest wind 6 to 15 mph.
- Tonight – A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2 am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Southwest wind 13 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. The chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Small Craft Advisory in effect from July 1, 05:00 PM EDT until July 2, 09:00 AM EDT
- Today – SSW wind 6 to 9 kt increasing to 10 to 13 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 21 kt. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – SW wind 11 to 13 kt, with gusts as high as 24 kt. A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2 am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 63°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:15 am | Sunset: 8:22 pm | 15 hours & 7 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 10:11 am & 10:19 pm | Low tide at 3:47 am & 3:25 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 1.7 days, 3% lighting.
Things To Do
- 10 am: Summer Stories at Whitehorne House Museum
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Rogues and Scoundrels
- 12 pm to 4 pm: Ketel One Botanicals Spritz Bar at Hotel Viking
- 1 pm: Newport History Site Tours: Colony House
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 5 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cheer Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 6 pm: Fire Dinners at Newport Vineyards
- 6:30 pm: TGIF Performance with Yoruba 2 at Rough Point Museum
- 6:35 pm: Newport Gulls Home Game at Cardines Field
- 7 pm to 10 pm: Ketel Cafe at Hill Market at Hotel Viking
- 7:15 pm: Evening Cruise with the Burn Card Band
- 8 pm: Newport Classical: Opening Night: Orpheus Chamber Orchestra with Chad Hoopes at The Breakers
- 8 pm: Comedy night featuring Anthony Devito, Sam Rubinoff, Mark Anthony Lewis, and Glenn Ginish at Reject Beer Co.
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- @ The Deck: Felix Brown at 9 pm.
- Bar & Board: Lois Vaughan Jazz Trio from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm
- Blue Anchor Grill: Steve Rodrigues at 6:30 pm
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10 pm
- Dockside: DJ Spiffy at 9 pm
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille:Keats & Co Acoustic Duo from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Gurney’s Newport: DJ from 5 pm to 10 pm on The Firepit Deck, Live music from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Group Therapy from 6 pm to 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Elvis at 2:30 pm & 7:30 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Landing: John Erikson at 1 pm, Jake Kulak Band at 4 pm, Straight Outta Rehab at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Steve Smith & The Nakeds from 8 pm to 11:30 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Chopville at 9 pm
- Newport Classical: Opening Night: Orpheus Chamber Orchestra with Chad Hoopes at The Breakers at 8 pm
- O’Brien’s Pub: John Erikson at 4:30 pm, DJ Remedy (video DJ) from 10 pm to close
- One Pelham East: Jimmy Weinstock from 4 pm to 7:30 pm, Ryan Faraday featuring Erika Van Pelt at 8:30 pm, DJ at 11 pm
- Rejects Beer Co: Comedy night featuring Anthony Devito, Sam Rubinoff, Mark Anthony Lewis, and Glenn Ginish at 8 pm.
- Speakeasy: Sean Rivers at 10 pm
- Surf Club: Justin Pomfret at 9 pm
- The Breakers: Newport Classical: Opening Night: Orpheus Chamber Orchestra with Chad Hoopes at 8 pm
- The Reef: Brian Scott Duo from 2 pm to 5 pm, Jake Heady Duo from 7 pm to 10 pm
- Top Of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: John & Joanne at 7:30 pm
- Zelda’s: Randy Robbins from 9 pm to midnight
City & Government
- No meetings scheduled.
The Latest from WUN
Popular Right Now
- Where to find 4th of July fireworks in Rhode Island
- Providence man claims $3 million Mega Millions Megaplier ticket
- Obituary: Sheila M. Woods
- Obituary: Michael Aloysius Hussey, Jr.
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: July 1 – 4
- Providence Business News – 20 R.I. restaurants earn 2022 Wine Spectator awards
- Boston.com – Seaport’s Pasta Beach restaurant reopens with new menu, ambiance
- Naval Sea Systems Command – NUWC Division Newport scientist wins 2022 Society of Women Engineers Helen Martha Sternberg Award
- URI Today – RISE, Vineyard Wind sponsor URI Energy Fellows Program
- ecoRI – Muskrats, ‘Crucial Wetland Engineers,’ Declining in R.I.
We’ll See You Out There
Wispy Sunset at Brenton Point – Wispy white clouds frame the orange glow of the setting sun as the sky fades to inky blue over the rocky coastline at Brenton Point State Park in Newport, RI.
A fine art photograph by Alexander Nesbitt, available by the artist in a variety of styles and sizes at BlinkGalleryUSA.com and at 89 Thames Street.