>> Governor Daniel McKee and the Rhode Island Department of Health hosted their weekly COVID-19 briefing on Thursday to provide an update on COVID-19 in Rhode Island. You can watch the press briefing here.
A few big takeaways from the press briefing;
When will you get your first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine? The Rhode Island Department of Health rolled out this updated estimated timeline yesterday.
- 50-59 is next, eligible on April 5.
- 40-49 on April 12.
- 16-39 on April 19.
It is the state’s hope that when eligibility opens for each group that those looking to make an appointment will be able to get one within a week or two.
Those (of any age) interested in receiving a vaccine should sign up for the Vaccine Interest Notification List at http://portal.ri.gov or call 844-930-1779. The state will contact you when an appointment is available for you.
Restrictions on businesses will loosen even further starting beginning today.
- Restaurants/events outdoor table seat count increased to 10 people.
- Self-service seating will be allowed.
- Gyms may open shower facilities.
- Businesses no longer need to keep cleaning log paperwork.
>> The Southcoast Health Aquidneck 10K to benefit the Norman Bird Sanctuary announced yesterday that it will be held on November 4. More details at Aquidneck10k.com.
>> Good news music fans, Newport Blues Cafe reopens tonight. Story
>> Catch me on The Rhode Show on WPRI this morning at 9 am. I’ll be making an appearance during the Rhodey Roundup segment.
Have a good Friday,
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Friday, March 26
~ Happy Birthday today to William Kimes, Brian Hodge, and Sarah Delekta!
- Dense Fog Advisory until March 26, 07:00 AM EDT
- Wind Advisory in effect from March 26, 04:00 PM EDT until March 27, 05:00 AM EDT
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today – Showers and thunderstorms likely before 1 pm, then a chance of showers. Patchy dense fog. Otherwise, cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 61. Breezy, with a south wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 19 to 24 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 44 mph. The chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Tonight – Mostly clear, with a low around 43. Breezy, with a west wind 18 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph.
- Gale Warning in effect from March 26, 12:00 PM EDT until March 27, 05:00 AM EDT
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today – S wind 10 to 15 kt increasing to 16 to 21 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 38 kt. Showers and thunderstorms likely before 1pm, then a chance of showers. Patchy dense fog. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – WSW wind 16 to 19 kt becoming WNW after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 31 kt. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Current Water Temperature: 40°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:37 am | Sunset: 7:05 pm | 12 hours and 28 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 6:36 am & 7:02 pm | Low tide at 12:38 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 12 days, 90% lighting.
Things To Do
- 11 am to 5 pm – Sip & Shop at J.McLaughlin to support the Women’s Resource Center
- 4:50 pm – Newport Winter Foodies Stroll
- 5 pm – Virtual Curator’s Tour of New Impressions at Jamestown Arts Center
Live Music & Entertainment
- 8 pm – Ryan McHugh at One Pelham East
- 9 pm – The Van Pelt Trio at Newport Blues Cafe
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- Nothing scheduled.
The Latest WUN Headlines
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
This Day in RI History: March 26, 1953 Lincoln Chafee is born
Newport County restaurants serving up Easter brunch, dinner on April 4
WATCH: Governor McKee, RIDOH host weekly COVID-19 briefing (March 25)
WATCH: A conversation with Rhode Island General Treasurer Seth Magaziner (March 25)
25+ longest-running restaurants in Newport
What’s Up in Newport County This Weekend: March 26 – 28
401Gives returns on April 1 with the goal of raising $1.5 million for local nonprofits
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- 25+ longest-running restaurants in Newport
- Newport County restaurants serving up Easter brunch, dinner on April 4
- Stephen Waluk resigns as chairman of Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority
- Obituary | Thomas Raymond O’Donnell
- Newport Flower Show reimagined as ‘Back in Bloom: A Ballroom Floral Fantasy’, will take place at Rosecliff in June
Our content is free and always will be, but we rely on your support to sustain it.
The Latest: COVID-19 / Vaccine
News | Data | Vaccine Info & Registration | Reopening RI | Travel Restrictions
General Assembly – Rep. Amore bill to require state boards and commissions be filled by RI residents passes the House
General Assembly – House approves McNamara legislation to protect vulnerable road users