Good Morning, today is Tuesday, June 21. Happy 1st day of Summer!
🌊 At 1:45 pm today, Governor McKee will sign into law a legislative package to strengthen gun safety laws and protect Rhode Islanders. He will be joined by legislative sponsors, Rhode Island General Officers, advocates, and Shannon Watts, Founder of Moms Demand Action.
The critical gun safety legislation that the Governor will sign into law includes:
- A ban on large-capacity gun magazines.
- Raises the legal age to purchase firearms or ammunition in Rhode Island from 18 to 21.
- Makes the definitions of “rifle” and “shotgun” consistent with federal law, and prohibits the open carry of any loaded rifle or shotgun in public.
🌊 If you missed the two information sessions on school regionalization yesterday, there’s a virtual meeting in English today from 6 pm to 8 pm and a virtual meeting in Spanish on Wednesday from 6 pm to 8 pm. Read More
🌊 Wondering what that house that was for sale in your neighborhood sold for? WUN’s Tyler Bernadyn has the rundown here – Real Estate Transactions: 26 homes sold in Newport County last week
🌊 Newport Charter Yacht Show, Newport Pride, Newport Secret Garden Tour, and Newport Polo are just a few of the things happening this week and weekend. Get the full rundown here.
What’s Up Today
- Today –Mostly sunny, with a high near 72. Light and variable wind becoming southeast 6 to 11 mph in the morning.
- Tonight – A chance of showers, mainly after 4am. Patchy fog after 5am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 60. Southeast wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Today – E wind 5 to 10 kt becoming SE in the afternoon. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – SSE wind around 6 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt in the evening. A slight chance of showers after 1 am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 60°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:11am | Sunset: 8:22 pm | 15 hours & 11 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 2:13 am & 2:47pm | Low tide at 8:31 am & 9:41 pm.
- Moon: Last Quarter Moon, 22 days, 51% lighting.
Things To Do
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Discover Colonial Newport
- 6 pm: Solstice Cacao + Sound Ceremony
- 6 pm – Pride Yoga on the Beach at 3rd Beach
- 6 pm to 8 pm – Raise Up the Arts reception at Johnny’s Restaurant
- 6 pm to 9 pm – Aquidneck Community Table’s Summer Bounty Party at Stoneacre Garden
- 7 pm – Evening Cruise with the Band Timeless
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Music Bingo at 7:30 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: The Duke at 4:30 pm, Moonrise Kingdom 10th Anniversary Party at 7:30 pm
- Landing: Mike Wendoloski at 1 pm, Adam Hanna at 4:30 pm, John Erikson at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Trivia from 7 pm to 9 pm
- One Pelham East: Stu Sinclair from 5 pm to 8:30 pm
City & Government
- Discover Newport: Newport and Bristol County Convention and Visitor’s Bureau dba Discover Newport at 8:30 am
- Jamestown: Jamestown Town Council at 5:30 pm
- Little Compton: Little Compton Hazard Mitigation Team at 1:30 pm, Little Compton Free Public Library Trust at 3 pm, Little Compton School Committee at 4 pm, Little Compton Beach Commission at 7:15 pm
- Middletown: Middletown Juvenile Hearing Board at 5:45 pm
- Portsmouth: Portsmouth Dog Park Operating Committee at 5:30 pm, Portsmouth School Committee at 7 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Recreation Commission at 6 pm, Tiverton Planning Board at 6:30 pm
The Latest from WUN
RI Monthly – Dining Review: The Dining Room at the Vanderbilt