Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Good Morning, today is Friday, June 17.
🌊 The Newport Flower Show returns to Rosecliff today through Sunday. According to the event’s website, all three days are now sold-out.
🌊 The Providence-Newport Ferry kicks off its season today. The ferry will run through October 10 with stops in Providence, Newport, and Bristol. Read More
🌊 Today at 11:00 am, elected leaders, students, teachers, parents, and community members will gather to break ground on the new, state-of-the-art Rogers High School project.
🌊 A fleet of 187 sailing yachts is set to take on the challenge of the Newport Bermuda Race, which starts today at 1:10 pm. Read More
🌊 It’s been a big news week out of Gillette Stadium. On Wednesday it was announced that they would host the Army-Navy game in 2023, the first time in the 124-year history of America’s Game that it will be played in New England.
On Thursday it was announced that Boston was selected to host FIFA World Cup 2026, the first men’s World Cup contended in North America since 1994. Each host city is projected to host four to six matches over the course of the tournament.
🌊 On the swimming and beachfront, the only Beach Closures active right now via the RIDOH are the Holiday Acres Campground in Glocester and Goddard State Park Beach in Warwick. Easton’ Beach in Newport and Fogland Beach in Tiverton reopened for swimming yesterday after being closed for a couple of days due to high bacteria count.
What’s Up Today
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today – A slight chance of showers, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Some of the storms could produce small hail and gusty winds. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 78. Southwest wind 15 to 18 mph. The chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Tonight – A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 7pm. Mostly clear, with a low around 62. West wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Today – SSW wind 13 to 16 kt, with gusts as high as 22 kt. A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 3pm. Some of the storms could produce small hail and gusty winds. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – W wind around 6 kt. A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 7pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 64°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:10 am | Sunset: 8:21 pm | 15 hours & 11 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 10:58 am & 11:24 pm | Low tide at 4:37 am & 4:20 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 17.7 days, 90% lighting.
- Newport Flower Show returns to Rosecliff this weekend
- Providence-Newport Ferry season begins on June 17
- Community forum on Alzheimer’s disease, other dementias to be held at Edward King House on June 17
- 52nd Newport Bermuda Race starts on Friday
Things To Do
- #OceanHour Week at Fort Adams State Park
- 47th Annual St. Barnabas Parish Festival
- Newport Bermuda Race
- The Newport Flower Show: Eden…A Personal Paradise
- 9 am to 10:15 am – Alzheimer’s Association Newport County Community Forum at the Edward King House
- 10 am to 11 am – Summer Stories at Whitehorne House Museum
- 11 am – Newport History Walking Tours: Rogues and Scoundrels
- 11:15 am – Newport to Bermuda Race Start Cruise, from Jamestown
- 12 pm to 4 pm – Ketel One Botanicals Spritz Bar at Hotel Viking
- 12:15 pm, 2:05 pm, & 3:55 pm – Coastal Queen’s Spring Lighthouse Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 1 pm – Newport History Site Tours: Colony House
- 5:30 pm – Treasures of the Redwood: Celebrating 275 years exhibition opening reception at Redwood Library
- 6:35 pm – Newport Gulls Home Game at Cardines Field
- 7 pm to 10 pm – Ketel Cafe at Hill Market at Hotel Viking
- 8 pm: Improv with the Bit Players at The Firehouse Theater
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Bar & Board: Lois Vaughan Jazz Trio from 7 pm to 10 pm
- Blue Anchor Grill: Chris Monti at 6:30 pm
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10 pm
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille: Neal McCarthy Duo from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Sean Coutofrom 6 pm to 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: The Duke at 4:30 pm, Star Wars: The Return of The Jedi at 7:30 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Landing: Jay Parker at 1 pm, Chase Ceglie Jazz Quartet at 4:30 pm, Straight Outta Rehab at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: The Brass Force Band from 8 pm to 11:30 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Inside Out at 9 pm
- Officers Club Deck: The Headliners at 5:30 pm
- One Pelham East: Jimmy Weinstock from 4 pm to 7:30 pm, Hit Play Band at 8:30 pm, DJ at 11 pm
- Speakeasy: Justin Pomfret at 10 pm
- The Firehouse Theatre: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8 pm
- The Reef: Live music from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Top Of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- Little Compton – Little Compton Fireworks Committee at 1 pm
Governor Dan McKee
At 11 am, Governor McKee will give remarks at the groundbreaking ceremony to mark the start of construction of the new Rogers High School.
The Latest from WUN
- Obituary: Gayle Walsh
- Obituary: Peter J. Kelly
- Obituary: Norman G. Bestoso
- Obituary: Randolph Stewart
- Obituary: Glen S. DeCosta
General Assembly – House approves 2023 state budget bill