The latest What’s UP Newp newsletter is here. Sign up to receive this newsletter, and other updates, directly in your inbox daily.
>> Newport City Council’s regular council meeting went 2+ hours last night. Find out how the votes fell and/or watch the meeting in our recap. Of note, City Council took action that postpones the Newport Rhode Races that was scheduled on April 17 to possibly June, deny a resolution on “Equitable Development added to the Comprehensive Land Use Plan”, and approved a special event permit for Newport Festa Italiana.
>> Tiverton’s Essex Memorial Library is opening as a vacation rental on April 1.
>>On the vaccine front, Lifespan yesterday opened up vaccine appointments to thoseover the age of 16 and immunocompromised. As of this morning, all of those appointments are spoken for but keep an eye here.
>> Speaking of Lifespan, they now have a COVID Vaccination Waste Prevention Program. “To ensure that not a single dose of vaccine is wasted, the Lifespan COVID-19 Vaccine Waste Prevention Program allows participants to put their names on a list to be called at the end of each vaccination clinic day, in case there are excess prepared doses that must be used immediately”. More info here.
>> The former Benny’s in Middletown opened up as a state-run vaccination on Wednesday. This clinic is currently for people who are 65 or older and live, work, or go to school in Rhode Island or you were previously invited by the Rhode Island Department of Health to be vaccinated as a member of a group prioritized for vaccination in Phase 1 of Rhode Island’s vaccination campaign. An appointment is required. Visit www.vaccinateri.org to make an appointment, for more information and updates.
>> The McKee Administration will host the FY 2022 budget proposal briefing today at noon. Governor McKee will give brief opening remarks.
>> Governor McKee and the Rhode Island Department of Health will host their weekly COVID-19 Press Briefing on Friday at 11 am this week (not today at 1 pm).
>>Newport City Council is scheduled to host a COVID-19 workshop today at 4:30 pm.
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Thursday, March 11, 2021
>> Happy Birthday today to Tanya Kelley, Sarah Fimple, Bill Simas, and Victor Rodrigues!
>> Today is National Funeral Director and Mortician Recognition Day and National Promposal Day!
- Special Weather Statement
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today – Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 58. South wind 6 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.
- Tonight – A slight chance of showers after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45. Southwest wind 11 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Small Craft Advisory in effect from March 11, 11:00 AM EST until March 12, 07:00 AM EST
- Gale Watch in effect from March 12, 10:00 PM EST until March 13, 04:00 PM EST
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today – SSW wind 5 to 8 kt increasing to 8 to 11 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 23 kt. Patchy fog before 10am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – SSW wind 10 to 12 kt, with gusts as high as 27 kt. A slight chance of showers after 4am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 37°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:02 am | Sunset: 5:48 pm
- High tide at 6:24 am & 6:42 pm | Low tide at 12:34 pm
- Moon: Waning Crescent, 27 days, 6% lighting
Things To Do
- 12 pm to 4 pm – Figure It Out at Coastal Contemporary Gallery
- 12 pm to 5 pm – Hot Chocolate Bar at The Chanler at Cliff Walk
- 5 pm – “Touch Me, Feel Me” Open Show Gallery Night at DeBlois Gallery
- 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm – Chanler Yurts at The Chanler at Cliff Walk
- 5:30 pm – Americans In Paris: Foundations of America’s Architectural Gilded Age lecture with the Preservation Society of Newport County
- 5:30 pm – The Importance of Stopover Habitat for Migratory Birds on Aquidneck Island with Norman Bird Sanctuary
- 6 pm to 9 pm – The Cocktail Club at Hotel Viking
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- 4 pm – Tiverton Library Trustees
- 4 pm – Newport Housing Authority
- 4:30 pm – Newport City Council
- 5 pm – Newport City Council
- 5 pm – Newport School Committee
- 5:30 pm – Middletown School Committee
- 6 pm – Middletown Town Council
- 6:30 pm – Newport Waterfront Commission
The Latest WUN Headlines
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular WUN Stories Right Now
- Here’s the status of major Newport County and Rhode Island events in 2021
- The Nitro Bar is opening a second location in Newport
- You can now stay the night in Tiverton’s Essex Memorial Library
- Obituary | James William Baccari
- Obituary | Woodrow Edward Cristiansen Jr.
COVID-19 in Rhode Island
Thanks for reading, have a great Thursday!
P.S. – Enjoy our content? Support our content, become a What’s Up Newp Supporter today!