Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Good Morning, today is Sunday, June 19. Today is Father’s Day and Juneteenth.
🌊 If you’re wanting to know more about Juneteenth, here’s a read we’re able to share – The history and significance of Juneteenth/
🌊 Here are some fun and interesting Father’s Day facts and figures.
🌊 Celebrate Dad today with a Father’s Day Cocktail Cruise this evening at 6:15 pm on the Coastal Queen. Enjoy a complimentary bartender’s special cocktail while viewing the many beautiful sights along the way like Rose Island Lighthouse, Fort Adams State Park, Clingstone, Hammersmith Farm and so much more. More details
🌊 Jason Carroll (New York City) and the crew of the MOD70 Argo outran every elapsed-time record associated with the Newport Bermuda Race when they completed the 52nd edition Saturday night at 2320:09 (ADT). Read More
🌊 What’sUpNewp’s Rick Farrell was on hand yesterday for the 46th Annual Rhode Island PrideFest in Providence, check out his photo gallery here.
🌊 Celebrating Billy Joel – America’s Piano Man will perform at The JPT this evening at 7 pm. Playing international smash hits such as ‘Just The Way You Are’, ‘New York State of Mind’, ‘Uptown Girl’, ‘Vienna’, ‘Scenes from an Italian Restaurant’, ‘Piano Man’, and many, many more; this group of multi-instrumentalists pay tribute to one of American music’s greats. Tickets/Learn More
🌊 The 47th Annual St. Barnabas Parish Festival wraps up today in Portsmouth.
What’s Up Today
- Today – Showers, mainly before 10am. High near 66. Northwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Tonight – Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 52. North wind 6 to 9 mph becoming west after midnight.
- Small Craft Advisory in effect from June 19, 04:00 AM EDT until June 19, 05:00 PM EDT
- Today – NNW wind around 13 kt, with gusts as high as 22 kt. A chance of showers, mainly before 9am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – Variable winds 5 kt or less. Mostly cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 63°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:11 am | Sunset: 8:22 pm | 15 hours & 11 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 12:21 am & 12:53 pm | Low tide at 6:26 am & 6:29 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 19.9 days, 73% lighting.
Things To Do
- The Newport Flower Show: Eden…A Personal Paradise
- 47th Annual St. Barnabas Parish Festival
- 9 am to 4 pm – Father’s Day Car Show at Longplex Family & Sports Center
- 10 am to 1:30 pm – Tiverton Farmers Market
- 10 am to 5 pm – Dads FREE at Newport Car Museum
- 11 am – Newport History Walking Tours: Golden to Gilded
- 12 pm to 4 pm – Ketel One Botanicals Spritz Bar at Hotel Viking
- 12:15 pm, 2:05 pm, & 3:55 pm – Coastal Queen’s Spring Lighthouse Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 2:50 pm – Coastal Queen’s Spring Lighthouse Cruises departing from Jamestown Village
- 6:15 pm – Father’s Day Cocktail Cruise
- 7 pm – Celebrating Billy Joel: America’s Piano Man live at The JPT Film & Event Center
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Blue Anchor Grill: Steve Rodrigues from 11 am to 2 pm
- Clarke Cooke House: Bobby Ferreira at 12:30 pm
- Fastnet: Irish Sessions from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Gurney’s: Honky Tonk Knights from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Irish American Club: Karaoke at 9 pm
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Mac Chrupcala Jazz Series from 3 pm to 7 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Celebrating Billy Joel: America’s Piano Man live at 7 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 11 am to 2 pm
- Landing: Jay Parker at 1 pm, Jim Devlin at 4:30 pm, Timeless at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: David Howard & The High Rollers from 4 pm to 7 pm
- One Pelham East: Acoustic music at 5 pm
- Pour Judgement: Los Duderinos at 10 pm
- The Firehouse Theater: Chase Ceglie Jazz Quartet at 5 pm
- The Reef: Live music from 12:30 pm to 4 pm, live music from 5 pm to 8 pm
City & Government
- No meetings are scheduled.
Governor Dan McKee
- 12 pm – Governor McKee will attend the installation of a Rhode Island Slave History Medallion, which marks sites connected to the history of slavery in Rhode Island.
- 3 pm – Governor McKee will walk in the Santo Cristo Feast procession.
- 4:45 pm – Governor McKee will attend the Juneteenth RI 2022 festival.
The Latest from WUN
- Obituary: Raymond Moore Farrow Jr.
- Obituary: Julia “Julie” Gatto
- Obituary: Dr. Peter Jeffrey Kosseff
- Obituary: Gayle Walsh
- Obituary: Peter J. Kelly
Town & Country – The Best Things to Do in Newport, Rhode Island