Good Morning! Ryan Belmore here at 6:43 am on Thursday, March 3. Here’s the latest …
The Pell Center for International Relations and Public Policy at Salve Regina University will host a virtual roundtable discussion about the current war in Ukraine on Tuesday. Salve Regina staff, faculty, and students are invited to participate. Details
A Peace Vigil for Ukraine will be held on the campus of URI today at 5 pm. All are welcome. Details
Tradewind Aviation’s Newport scheduled service flights are returning this summer. Scheduled flights depart from the Million Air private terminal at Westchester County Airport (HPN) and fly directly into Newport State Airport (NPT) in under 40 minutes. Flights begin on May 27th and will operate on select days through September 5th. More info
The Clarke Cooke House will host its 25th Annual Caribbean Party on Saturday night. The Ravers will provide the live music. More Info
Fair winds and following seas to Coast Guard Cutter Sturgeon which departed Naval Station Newport on Tuesday as part of a homeport shift to Coast Guard Station Boston, according to Naval Station Newport.
What’s Up Out There
- Today: Sunny, with a high near 41. West wind 6 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
- Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 36. South wind 6 to 8 mph.
- Today – A slight chance of showers before 7am. Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then becoming sunny, with a high near 41. Northwest wind 11 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Tonight – Mostly clear, with a low around 17. Northwest wind 9 to 15 mph.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 40°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:16 am | Sunset: 5:38 pm | 11 hours and 21 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 8:09 am & 8:30 pm | Low tide at 1:33 am & 1:57 pm.
- Moon: New Moon, 0 days, 0% lighting.
Things To Do
- 10 am – Nature Drawing at Blithewold: March 3: Perspective in Petals at Blithewold
- 12 pm to 8:30 pm – IGLOO VILLAGE @ THE REEF
- 2 pm to 9 pm – Gurney’s Ice Skating Rink
- 6 pm to 9 pm – The Cocktail Club Mixology Class at Hotel Viking
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
Live Music & Entertainment
- JPT Film & Event Center – Licorice Pizza at 4:30 pm, The Shining at 7:30 pm
- One Pelham East – Adam Go at 9 pm
City & Government
- 3:30 pm – Middletown School Committee
- 4 pm – Newport Tax Relief Ad Hoc Committee
- 4:30 pm – Newport Charter Review Commission
- 5 pm – Newport School Committee
- 6:30 pm – Tiverton Harbor Commission
- 7 pm – Portsmouth Tree Commission
The Latest from What’sUpNewp
Opinion: Exempting taxes on veterans’ pensions is long overdue
‘Peace Vigil for Ukraine’ to be held on URI Campus on Thursday
Newport City Council returns to City Hall for their next Council Meeting, here’s what’s on the docket
Lifespan eases some restrictions, expands visitation policy at local hospitals
CCRI updates COVID-19 policies, procedures
Just My Opinion: Images on a wall
Town of Middletown receives a $60,000 Community Support Grant from Discover Newport
Women’s History Month: Organizations providing significant services, primarily for women
Governor McKee: $8 million in grants is available for the hospitality, tourism, and events industry
2022 Newport Folk Festival Lineup Announcement – Goose will perform on July 22
Recent Local Obituaries
- Ian Robinson
- Timothy Joseph Reed
- Leslie Earl Sanborn
- Elizabeth Margaret Kennedy
- Theresa A. (Martin) Wilkinson
RI.Gov – Rhode Island Has Momentum: Governor McKee Marks 1 Year in Office
Salve Today – Pell Center to hold roundtable discussion on Russian-Ukraine war
URI Today – For URI Fulbright scholar, war in Ukraine overshadows his studies in Slovakia
RI Monthly – A Local Ukrainian’s Perspective on the Situation in Her Homeland
EastBay – Little Compton schools go mask-optional