Good Morning, today is Thursday, June 30.
🌊 The race is set for local and statewide offices as candidates officially declared their candidacy this week. 15 candidates are running for Governor, 14 candidates are running for Congressional District 2, 14 candidates are running for Newport City Council, 10 candidates are running for Middletown Town Council, and there’s a whole bunch of other races. See all the candidates here. Candidates now move on to collecting signatures.
🌊 Scott Buchanan with a feature on Middletown’s Mission First Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – Mission First Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Middletown offers women’s only classes
🌊 The weather forecast is looking great for the Jamestown’s 4th of July fireworks on Sunday and Newport’s on Monday. Here’s where to find fireworks this weekend.
🌊 Phillip Dodd, one of the world’s foremost experts on classical architecture and interiors, will be at Charter Books this evening to talk about and sign his new book “An American Renaissance: Beaux-Arts Architecture in New York City”.
🌊 Grab your fancy shoes, a few friends, and a custom Rough Point cocktail at Garden Fête at 5:30 pm! At this garden soiree, wander among the blooms in the Formal Garden at Rough Point, and try artisanal cocktails made by Little Bitte.
🌊 newportFILM will present Fashion Reimagined on the lawn of Rosecliff at 8:30 pm this evening.
What’s Up Today
- Today – Sunny, with a high near 80. West wind 5 to 9 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
- Tonight – Mostly clear, with a low around 62. Southwest wind 5 to 7 mph.
- Today – Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SW 5 to 8 kt in the morning. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – SSW wind around 6 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt after midnight. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 63°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:14 am | Sunset: 8:23 pm | 15 hours & 8 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 9:32 am & 9:43 pm | Low tide at 3:10 am & 2:42 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 0.8 days, 1% lighting.
Things To Do
- 1 pm – Newport History Site Tours: Seventh Day Baptist Meeting House
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 5 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cheer Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 5:30 pm: Garden Fête at Rough Point Museum
- 6 pm: Phillip James Dodd signs AN AMERICAN RENAISSANCE at Charter Books
- 7 pm: Ketel Cafe at Hill Market at Hotel Viking
- 7 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 8:30 pm – Fashion Reimagined: newportFILM Outdoors on the lawn of Rosecliff
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- JPT Film & Event Center: Elvis at 4 pm & 4:30 pm
- Landing: Jay Parker at 1 pm, Justin Pomfret at 4:30 pm, Timmy Smith at 8pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Tommy Raines Band from 8 pm to 11 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Felix Brown Band at 8 pm
- One Pelham East: Stu Sinclair at 9 pm
- Ragged Island Brewing: Trivia in the Barn at 6 pm
- The Reef: Matt Walker from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Top of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- Jamestown: Jamestown School Committee at 6:30 pm
- Little Compton: Little Compton Fireworks Committee at 9 am
- Middletown: Middletown Outreach Sub-Committee at 5:30 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Recreation Commission at 6 pm
The Latest from WUN
Want to receive this story in your inbox every morning? Sign up for our free newsletter here.
Rep. K. Joseph Shekarchi; Sen. Dominick Ruggerio – This Year at the General Assembly
We’ll See You Out There
Newport Bridge Calm – A soothing harbor scene; calm water gently ripples in the bay as the sun sets near the Newport Bridge.
A fine art photograph by Alexander Nesbitt, available in a variety of styles and sizes here and at 89 Thames Street.