Good Morning, today is Wednesday, July 27.
🌊 The 2022 Newport Jazz Festival arrives this weekend! The festival features a truly phenomenal lineup with diverse acts representing numerous genres, all connecting to jazz on some level. These bands like to have fun, an expressed goal of festival Artistic Director and 2022 performer Christian McBride. Very few tickets remain – the festival is expected to sell out. Check out our “Six Picks Newport Jazz Festival Edition.”
🌊 Beverly Kantrowitz-Prosnitz passed away on Monday. She was the loving wife of Frank Prosnitz, What’sUpNewp’s news editor. All of our thoughts are with Frank and his family during this difficult time.
🌊 Music On The Lawn returns to The Church of St. John the Evangelist in August
🌊 The Newport Show returns this weeekend after a two-year pandemic hiatus
🌊 Newport City Council will host its next regular meeting tonight, here’s what’s on the docket
What’s Up Today
- Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 79. Light and variable wind becoming south 6 to 11 mph in the afternoon.
- Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 70. Southwest wind 5 to 7 mph.
- Tomorrow: A chance of showers, mainly after 3pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 79. South wind 8 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Tomorrow Night: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 3am. Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 71. South wind 5 to 11 mph becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Today: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SSW 5 to 10 kt in the afternoon. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: SW wind around 6 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt. Partly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 71°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:35 am | Sunset: 8:07 pm | 14 hours & 31 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 7:49 am & 8:08 pm | Low tide at 1:30 am & 12:54 pm.
- Moon: Waning Crescent, 27.9 days, 3% lighting.
Things To Do
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Golden to Gilded
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises
- 2 pm to 6 pm: Aquidneck Growers Market on Memorial Blvd.
- 4:15 pm: Senior Ballroom Dance Classes at Common Fence Point Community Center
- 5 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cheer Cruises
- 6 pm to 8 pm: Music at Sunset Concert Series featuring The DMB Project at Blithewold
- 6:35 pm: Newport Gulls Home Game at Cardines Field
- 7 pm: Family-Friendly Funnies with the Bit Players at The Firehouse Theatre
- 7 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Team Trivia at 7:30 pm
- Fastnet Pub: Trivia at 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Elvis at 4 pm & 7:30 pm
- Landing: The Naticks at 4:30 pm, John Erikson at 8 pm
- Newport Vineyards: TITTB Duo from 5 pm to 8 pm
- O’Brien’s Pub: Eoin Egan live on the patio from 5 pm to 7 pm
- One Pelham East: Adam Go from 4 pm to 7:30 pm
- Perro Salado: The Z-Boys from 9 pm to 12 am
- Ragged Island Brewing: Live music from 4 pm to 7 pm
- The Firehouse Theatre: Family-Friendly Funnies with the Bit Players at 7 pm
- Top Of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: John & Joanne from 7 pm to 10 pm
City & Government
- Little Compton: Little Compton Conservation Commission at 7 pm
- Middletown: Middletown Technical Review Committee at 9 am
- Newport: Newport City Council at 6:30 pm
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Rhode Island Monthly: Get a Fresh Taste of Italy at Mozz, Newport’s Newest Cheese Shop
We’ll See You Out There
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.