Good Morning, today is Saturday, July 16.
🌊 In Newport, all three ward council candidates are running unopposed, while four Newport County House of Representatives candidates are also running without opposition. Frank with the latest – Field narrows for Newport area council and legislative races
🌊 In statewide and local elections, the field of candidates narrowed yesterday as some candidates withdrew from races, and several others were unable to gather the necessary number of signatures on nomination papers that would have placed them on the September primary or November general election ballots.
🌊 It might be tough to guess the instrument Newport resident Don Chilton is featured on in the new movie Where the Crawdads Sing. The highly anticipated Reese Witherspoon-produced film has opened in theaters and Chilton contributed to the soundtrack … but not on his usual trumpet. If you listen closely, you’ll hear him playing sea shells. WUN’s Ken Abrams with more – What’s Up Interview: Musician Don Chilton, plays on the soundtrack of new film ‘Where the Crawdads Sing’
🌊 Escobar Farm’s 4th of July fireworks that were postponed to tonight, have been postponed again, according to Portsmouth Police Department.
🌊 Craft Brew Races returns to Fort Adams today.
🌊 Shopping for a new home this weekend? There are a ton of Open Houses happening across Newport County, Tyler has the rundown here – Open Houses in Newport County this weekend: July 15 – 17
What’s Up Today
- Today: Increasing clouds, with a high near 78. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the morning.
- Tonight: Patchy fog before 1 am, then patchy fog after 2 am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. South wind 3 to 6 mph.
- Tomorrow: Isolated showers between 10 am and 11 am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 80. Light southwest wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the morning. The chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Tomorrow Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70. South wind 6 to 8 mph.
- Today: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming S 5 to 8 kt in the morning. Increasing clouds. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: Variable winds 5 kt or less. Isolated showers before 7pm. Patchy fog between 11pm and 1am, then Patchy fog after 2am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 68°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:25 am | Sunset: 8:16 pm | 14 hours & 50 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 10:39 am & 11:04 pm | Low tide at 4:19 am & 4:14 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 17.3 days, 93% lighting.
Things To Do
- 9 am to 12 pm: Aquidneck Growers Market at Embrace Home Loans
- 9:30 am: Yoga for All at The Norman Bird Sanctuary
- 10 am: Infosys Hall Of Fame Open – Doubles Semifinal, Singles Semifinals, & Induction Ceremony at the International Tennis Hall Of Fame
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises
- 12 pm to 4 pm: Craft Brew Races | Newport 2022 at Fort Adams
- 12 pm to 4 pm: Ketel One Botanicals Spritz Bar at Hotel Viking
- 12 pm to 12 am: Hellenic Fest at St. Spyridon Church
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises
- 2 pm: Newport History Walking Tours: Discover Colonial Newport
- 3 pm: Simmons Farm Mozzarella Cheese Making Class
- 5 pm: Newport International Polo Series
- 5 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cheer Cruises
- 7 pm: Comedian Maria Bamford live at The JPT
- 7 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises
- 7 pm & 9 pm: Improv with the Bit Players at The Firehouse Theater
- 8 pm: Newport Classical presents Cocktails and Concert with Marc-André Hamelin and Johannes Moser at Redwood Library
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Bar & Board: Mel at 7:30 pm
- Blue Anchor Grill: The Girls at 6:30 pm
- Buskers: Brian Twohey at 9 pm
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10 pm
- Clarke Cooke House: Live music at 10 pm
- Dockside: DJ Face at Riptides at 9 pm, The Baron’s inside at 9 pm
- Greenvale Vineyards: Dick Lupino & friends from 1 pm to 4 pm
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille: Alexus Lee from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Gurney’s: Brian Scott Band from 6 pm to 9 pm at The Pineapple Club, DJ from 5 pm to 10 pm on The Firepit Deck
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Live music from 6 pm to 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Elvis at 2 pm, Comedian Maria Bamford live at 7 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 6 pm to 10 pm
- Landing: Mark Flynn at 1 pm, Loose Pockets at 4:30 pm, Fire & Knifes at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Farm Dog from 8 pm to 11:30 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Never In Vegas at 9 pm
- Newport Classical: Cocktails and Concert with Marc-André Hamelin and Johannes Moser at 8 pm at the Redwood Library
- O’Brien’s Pub: C Gray the DJ from 10 pm to close
- One Pelham East: Live music at 4:30 pm, live music at 8:30 pm, DJ at 11 pm
- Shops at Long Wharf: Cee Cee & The Riders from 1 pm to 5 pm
- Speakeasy: Live music at 10 pm
- The Deck Restaurant & Bar: Zane Christopher at 1 pm, Spiffy Saturday at 9 pm
- The Firehouse Theatre: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 7 pm & 9 pm
- The Reef: Brian Scott from 1 pm to 3:30 pm, Nate C. from 4 pm to 7 pm, Out Cry from 7 pm to 10 pm
- Top of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm & 10:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- No public meetings are scheduled in Newport County.
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
What’s Up This Weekend & Beyond
- What’s Up This Weekend: July 15 – 17
- Six Picks Music: The best in local music this weekend (July 15-17)
- Six Picks Events: What’s Up in RI this weekend (July 15-17)
- Open Houses in Newport County this weekend: July 15 – 17
- What’s Up in Newport County: July 18 – 31
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Let the community know about your event, announcement, or other news. Submit posts here.
We’ll See You Out There
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.