Good Morning, today is Wednesday, July 13.
🌊 After more than twenty years, Kate Leonard isn’t running for re-election on Newport City Council Ward 3. She shares why here.
🌊 Xaykham Rexford Khamsyvoravong, “Xay” (pronounced “Sigh”) for short, is among the ten candidates running for Newport City Council At-Large. Xay shared with us why he’s running for office.
🌊 Candidates for local and statewide offices have until the end of the day on July 15 to collect the required signatures needed. We’ll be keeping an eye out for any other shakeups. Follow our Election 2022 coverage for the latest.
🌊 Speaking of Newport City Council, they have a Regular Meeting tonight. Here’s what’s on the docket.
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
🌊 The tournament’s early rounds continue with 8 single matches and 3 double matches at the Infosys Hall of Fame Open today. Gates open at 10 am and tennis begins at 11 am. Tickets & More Info
🌊 Governor Dan McKee will throw out the first pitch at the game at Cardines Field tonight, which is Military Appreciation Night. The first pitch is at 6:35 pm.
🌊 Bob Woodward will deliver the John J. Slocum, Jr. Memorial Lecture at Redwood Library this evening.
🌊 Fort Adams Trust will host Music At The Fort this evening from 6 pm to 10 pm, featuring the Rhode Island Alumni Stage Band. Formed in the 1960s, the band, which has performed at the Newport Jazz Festival seven times, is a 17-piece collection of New England’s finest musicians and educators who will reunite for an evening of big band jazz. Food and drink vendors on site. Free.
🌊 Salve Regina University, in partnership with Innovate Newport, is hosting a 3-day Entrepreneurial Boot Camp starting Aug. 5, on-campus housing is available. Register by the July 22 deadline. Learn More
What’s Up for Weather
- Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 83. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
- Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 68. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
- Tomorrow: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 80. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Tomorrow Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. Southwest wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Today: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SSW 5 to 9 kt in the afternoon. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: Variable winds 5 kt or less. Mostly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 68°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:23 am | Sunset: 8:18 pm | 14 hours & 55 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 7:59 am & 8:26 pm | Low tide at 1:43 am & 1:19 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 13.9 days, 99% lighting.
What’s Up Today
Things To Do
- 10 am: Infosys Hall Of Fame Open – Tournament Early Rounds at the International Tennis Hall Of Fame
- 11 am: Newport Classical presents Classical Contemporaries: Later Years at The Elms
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Golden to Gilded
- 2 pm to 6 pm: Aquidneck Growers Market on Memorial Blvd.
- 4:15 pm: Senior Ballroom Dance Classes at Common Fence Point Community Center
- 6 pm to 8 pm: Music at the Fort featuring The Rhode Island Youth Stage Band at Fort Adams
- 6 pm: Bob Woodward, Legendary Prize-Winning Journalist, at Redwood Library
- 6:35 pm: Newport Gulls Home Game at Cardines Field
- 7 pm: Family-Friendly Funnies with the Bit Players at The Firehouse Theatre
- 7:45 pm: Full Moon Rides with Bike Newport
- 7:45 pm: Full Moon Yoga & Sound Journey July 13th at the Norman Bird Sanctuary
- 8 pm: Newport Classical presents Dmitry Masleev ta The Breakers
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Team Trivia at 7:30 pm
- Fastnet Pub: Trivia at 9 pm
- Fort Adams: Music At The Fort featuring Rhode Island Youth Stage Band from 6 pm to 8 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Elvis at 4 pm & 7:30 pm
- Landing: Dan Decristofaro at 1 pm, The Naticks at 4:30 pm, John Erikson at 8 pm
- Newport Classical: Classical Contemporaries: Later Years at 11 am at The Breakers, Dmitry Masleev at 8 pm at The Breakers
- Newport Vineyards: The Van Pelt Duo from 5 pm to 8 pm
- O’Brien’s Pub: Eoin Egan live on the patio from 5 pm to 7 pm
- One Pelham East: Adam Go from 4 pm to 7:30 pm
- Perro Salado: The Z-Boys from 9 pm to 12 am
- Ragged Island Brewing: Andre Arsenault from 4 pm to 7 pm
- Rusty’s: Karaoke from 5 pm to 10 pm
- Sardella’s: Live Jazz at 7 pm
- The Firehouse Theatre: Family-Friendly Funnies with the Bit Players at 7 pm
- Top Of Pelham: Dueling Pianos: Free Wednesday show with Davina Yanetty & Mike Brown at 7:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- Jamestown: Jamestown Housing Authority at 10 am, Jamestown Harbor Management Commission at 5 pm
- Little Compton: Little Compton Housing Trust at 6 pm
- Middletown: Middletown Roads/Utilities Advisory Committee at 10 am, Middletown Economic Development Advisory Committee at 4:30 pm, Middletown School Building Committee at 5 pm, Middletown Planning Board at 6 pm
- Newport: Newport Cemetery Advisory Commission at 4 pm, Newport City Council at 6:30 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Personnel Board at 5:30 pm, Tiverton Cemetery Commission at 7 pm
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
What’s Up Headlines
What’s Up Elsewhere
We’ll See You Out There
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.