Good Morning, today is Friday, June 10
🌊 The Rhode Island State Fire Marshal said an electrical panel was a factor in a fire at a Days Inn hotel in Middletown, WJAR reports. WJAR also reports that the cause of the fire at The Wayfinder hotel in Newport is still under investigation.
🌊 Are you a fan of the My Favorite Murder podcast? Listen closely for a What’s Up Newp mention in Episode 328 when they discuss the death of socialite Sunny von Bülow.
🌊 The Black Ships Festival returns to Bristol and Newport this weekend. Don’t miss the Sushi Sake Sail’s aboard Aurora today at 12 pm and on Sunday at 2 pm. Calendar of Events
🌊 The Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) and the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management (DEM) are advising people to avoid contact with Almy Pond in Newport due to a blue-green algae (or cyanobacteria) bloom in the pond. Blue-green algae can produce toxins that can harm humans and animals.
🌊 This is our regular column that wraps up some of the top political stories of the moment – Election 2022: Candidates take to social media, advocating for labor, school choice, and the LGBTQ+ community
What’s Up Today
- Today – Sunny, with a high near 74. Southwest wind 9 to 15 mph.
- Tonight – Partly cloudy, with a low around 60. Southwest wind 6 to 11 mph becoming light west after midnight.
- Today – W wind 8 to 13 kt becoming SW in the afternoon. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – SW wind 5 to 10 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt after midnight. Partly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 60°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:11 am | Sunset: 8:19 pm | 15 hours & 8 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 4:25 am & 5:04 pm | Low tide at 10:12 am & 11:15 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 9.8 days, 74% lighting.
Things To Do
- 10 am to 12 pm – Summer Stories at Whitehorne House Museum
- 12 pm to 4 pm – Ketel One Botanicals Spritz Bar at Hotel Viking
- 12 pm to 2 pm – Sushi Sake Sail I from Goat Island
- 12:15 pm, 2:05 pm, & 3:55 pm – Coastal Queen’s Spring Lighthouse Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 2:50 pm – Coastal Queen’s Spring Lighthouse Cruises departing from Jamestown Village
- 4:30 pm – Ribbon Cutting for Outdoor Classroom/Rain Garden at Melville School
- 6:35 pm – Newport Gulls Home Game at Cardines Field
- 7 pm to 10 pm – Ketel Cafe at Hill Market at Hotel Viking
- 7 pm – Summer Outdoor Concert Series at Norman Bird Sanctuary featuring Kyshona
- 7 pm – Natural Wines & Cheese Tasting Cruise with Grapes & Gourmet
- 8 pm: Improv with the Bit Players at The Firehouse Theater
- 8 pm – Comedy night at Rejects Beer Co.
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Bar & Board: Lois Vaughan Jazz Trio from 7 pm to 10 pm
- Blue Anchor Grill: Live music at 6:30 pm
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10 pm
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Phenix Avenue from 6 pm to 9 pm, The Race To Alaska at 7:30 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Downton Abbey 2: A New Era at 4:30 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Landing: Timeless at 1 pm, Dave Alves Band at 4:30 pm, Straight Outta Rehab at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Eddy’s Shoe from 8 pm to 11:30 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Never In Vegas at 9 pm
- Norman Bird Sanctuary: Kyshona at 7 pm
- Officers Club Deck: The Naticks at 5:30 pm
- One Pelham East: Jimmy Weinstock from 4 pm to 7:30 pm, Live music at 8 pm, DJ at 11 pm
- Rejects Beer Co: Comedy night featuring Andrew Kim at 8 pm
- Speakeasy: Justin Pomfret at 10 pm
- The Firehouse Theatre: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8 pm
- The Reef: Live music from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Top Of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- No scheduled meetings.
Governor Dan McKee
At 6 pm, Governor McKee will give remarks at the Rhode Island Day of Portugal State House ceremony.