Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
3,200 additional COVID-19 vaccination appointments will be posted on www.vaccinateRI.org this morning at 9 am. These appointments will be for the State-run site at Sockanosset Cross Road. These appointments are being released today, instead of on a Tuesday or a Friday because many are for tomorrow. [Story]
An exciting new in-person event is scheduled to begin at Roger Williams Park Zoo today and run through July 4. The Asian Lantern Spectacular will feature over 50 lantern displays, Asian cuisine, and a children’s area. [Story]
Walter Channing, an American physician, and professor of medicine, was born on this day in 1786 in Newport. Channing’s most significant contribution, and what he may be best known for, is his advocacy of anesthesia in childbirth and for being the first American physician (in 1847) to use anesthesia during childbirth. [Story]
Gerry Goldstein writes this week about “The shot heard round the world,“ Ernie Calverley’s unimaginable, 62-foot heave that led Rhode Island State College into an overtime win against Bowling Green at Madison Square Garden. [Gerry Goldstein: Long ago, a buzzer-beater for the ages]
Yesterday we asked what restaurant week deals and menus that you were loving. Johnny’s at The Atlantic Resort, Salvation Cafe, and Brick Alley Pub were among the most popular answers. Reminder – Newport Restaurant Week continues through Sunday, details here.
Today we wonder, where is your favorite daffodil spot on Aquidneck Island? It can be a place you enjoy seeing them or visiting them. Hit reply and let us know.
What’s Up in Newport County Today
~ Happy Birthday today to Ronna Lowenstein, Harle Tinney, Thaddeus Wadsworth, and Melissa Kindness!
- Today – Rain likely, mainly after 5 pm. Cloudy, with a high near 50. Southeast wind 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. The chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Tonight – Rain. Low around 42. Northeast wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. The chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
- Small Craft Advisory in effect from April 16, 05:00 AM EDT until April 16, 08:00 PM EDT
- Today –ESE wind 9 to 12 kt, with gusts as high as 21 kt. Rain likely, mainly after 5 pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight -E wind around 13 kt becoming NE after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 22 kt. Rain. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 45°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:04 am | Sunset: 7:26 pm | 13 hours and 22 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 10:46 am & 10:53 pm | Low tide at 4:08 am & 3:57 pm
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 3 days, 8% lighting.
Things To Do
- Newport Restaurant Week
- Newport Daffodil Days
- 10 am – Veggie Days at the MLK Center
- 12 pm – The 2 Steps To Keeping Your Marketing Growing
- 1 pm – When Art Is Medicine: Ojibwe Women and The Jingle Dress Dance Tradition
- 5:30 pm – Drop Dead Gorgeous: Fashioning Tuberculosis in Early Victorian England
- 6 pm – Trivia Night on Ragged Island’s Farm
- 8 pm – 8 pm – Live music with Brian Cabral at One Pelham East
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
- Oscar Shorts: Animated
- Oscar Shorts: Live Action
- Oscar Shorts: Documentary
- Kinky Boots The Musical (From London’s West End)
City & Government
- 9:30 am – Newport Tourism Marketing Management Authority
- 10 am – Jamestown Housing Authority
- 4 pm – Newport Housing Authority
- 4 pm – Newport School Committee – Wellness Subcommittee
- 5:30 pm – Middletown School Committee
- 5:30 pm – Portsmouth Parks and Recreation
- 6 pm – Portsmouth Glen Manor House Authority
- 7 pm – Portsmouth Zoning Board of Review
- 7 pm – Tiverton Budget Committee
The Latest What’s Up Newp Headlines
Governor Dan McKee and the Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) this afternoon announced that […]
Around The News World
- ‘We don’t want to lose anyone else’: The push for safety barriers on Rhode Island’s bridges [The Public’s Radio]
- Newport psychologist arrested on charges of sexually abusing children as a priest in California [Boston Globe]
- Doula bill to be heard during Black Maternal Health Week [General Assembly]
- Spring dance concert will take place live in the Casino Theatre [SalveToday]
- URI Theatre’s full stage production of ‘Miss Nelson is Missing!’ to be streamed by hundreds of R.I. classrooms [URI Today]
- Rhode Island AG Rebukes Jamestown CRMC Decision [EcoRI News]
Support What’s Up Newp
Delivering worthwhile local news is truly a community-wide effort. It takes a dedicated crew and a loyal readership working together to make it happen. If you appreciate what we do, please consider supporting us today!
When you support What’s Up Newp, you support your community.