Subscribe to our newsletter
>> The sale of seasonal passes to Sachuest and Third beaches will start today. Details
>> Beginning today, people 40 and older are now eligible to schedule COVID-19 vaccine appointments.
>> WRIU 90.3 FM is holding Radiothon, its annual fundraising drive this week, after skipping the event last year due to the coronavirus epidemic. The non-commercial station receives no public funds, relying on donations as its main source of income. The station broadcasts 24-7, year-round and is run by an all-volunteer staff. Story
>> Jay Flanders is back with another edition of Tiny Kitchen Magic. This month he’s walking you through how to make BBQ Pulled Pork with Maple Chipotle BBQ Sauce. Story.
>> Newport Historical Society’s Executive Director Ruth Taylor recently sat down, virtually, with me to discusses the shift in community journalism that has taken place over the past year, and What’s Up Newp’s pivot from reporting on local events to providing detailed coverage of quarantine protocols, vaccine distribution, unsung heroes and more, as part of their initiative History in the Making. Storyhttps://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/E2jKPsSUiI4?rel=0&autoplay=0&showinfo=0&enablejsapi=0
Your support means the world to us. It also means we can keep bringing you this newsletter. If you want even more content, sign up to become a What’s Up Newp Supporter and be part of the reason why What’s Up Newp can do what it does.
Not in a position to be a paying member right now? We get it. But we’ll ask for one thing instead, send this newsletter to a friend and tell them to subscribe. It’s free, easy, and it helps us!
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Monday, April 12
~ Happy Birthday today to Kayla Grady, Sean O’Connor, Rachel O’Donnell, Jamie Oschefski, Jose Amid, and Julie Fenton!
- Today – Patchy drizzle after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 49. Northeast wind 13 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
- Tonight – Patchy drizzle before 9pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 41. Northeast wind 11 to 15 mph.
- Today – NE wind 11 to 14 kt, with gusts as high as 24 kt. A chance of drizzle after noon. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – NE wind 10 to 13 kt becoming N after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 kt. A chance of drizzle before 9pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 46°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:09 am | Sunset: 7:23 pm | 13 hours and 14 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 8:57 am & 9:13 pm | Low tide at 2:21 am & 2:11 pm
- Moon: New Moon, 0 days, 0% lighting.Things To Do
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- 3 pm – Middletown Planning Board
- 3:30 pm – Jamestown School Building Sub-Committee
- 6:30 pm – Jamestown Town Council
- 6:30 pm – Jamestown School Committee
- 5 pm – Newport School Committee – Ad Hoc School Building Committee
- 6 pm – Newport Energy and Environment Commission
- 7 pm – Tiverton Historical Cemeteries Commission
- 7 pm – Tiverton Town Council
- 7 pm – Stone Bridge Fire District
The Latest Headlines on WhatsUpNewp.com
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- Out and About in South County
- Black Pants White Socks debuts this weekend at The Social in Tiverton
- Middletown beach parking passes will go on sale on April 12
- Live music slowly returning to the region
- 17 Newport County Open Houses to check out this weekend (April 9 – 11)
The Latest: COVID-19 / Vaccine
Around The Web
We’ll See You Out There
More From What’s Up Newp
- WUN-ON-ONE: A virtual video conversation with Melanie Chartoff, comedian, actress, and author
- International Tennis Hall Of Fame acquires tennis-inspired art collection from Hall of Famer Gianni Clerici
- Mask mandate to be lifted for those fully vaccinated on May 18; most remaining COVID-19 restrictions to be lifted on May 21
- John E. Fogarty Foundation provides more than $175,000 in grants to 31 organizations across Rhode Island
- Obituary: Berit M. Hattendorf