>> 25 homes sold in Newport County last week. Take a look at where they were located and what they sold for. Full Story
>> Looking for a new gig, job, or career? There are more than 145 job opportunities available right now in the Newport area. See The Full List
>> Dan Snydacker, a board member and education chair of the Touro Synagogue Foundation, joins WhatsUpNewp for a live virtual video interview at noon today to discuss the Foundation’s upcoming lecture series, particularly its opening event on April 1, which explores the rise in anti-Semitism today. Watch Live
>> Rhode Island has moved the state tax filing deadline to May 17. Story
>> Newport Festivals Foundation announced yesterday that “John Prine And Friends” will be available for pre-order beginning this morning at 11 am. Recorded during the 2017 Newport Folk Festival, John Prine and Friends is the first-ever release of this celebrated and unique performance. Proceeds from the sale support the Newport Festivals Foundation’s ongoing initiatives to aid musicians in need and music programs across the country. Full Story
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Tuesday, March 23, 2021
~ Happy Birthday today to Tony Jones, Eric Devine, Cameron DuBreuil, Kaileigh Champion, Patrick Dugan, and Shane Murray!
~ Today is National Puppy Day, American Diabetes Association Alert Day, and Melba Toast Day!
- Special Weather Statement
- Today – Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 56. North wind 5 to 7 mph becoming southeast in the afternoon.
- Tonight – Patchy fog after midnight. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 39. East wind around 6 mph.
- Today – Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming ESE around 6 kt in the afternoon. Patchy fog before 9am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – Variable winds 5 kt or less. Patchy fog after midnight. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Current Water Temperature: 38°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:42 am | Sunset: 7:01 pm | 12 hours and 19 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 3:33 am & 4:15 pm | Low tide at 10:37 am & 10:01 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 9 days, 64% lighting.
Things To Do
- 11:30 am – Lunch & Learn: Bingo at MLK Center
- 1 pm to 3 pm & 5 pm to 7 pm – Job Fair Reception at Chanler at The Cliff Walk
- 2 pm – Tiverton Farmers Market – Winter
- 6:30 pm – Portsmouth Free Public Library to host a virtual presentation on starting seeds with a URI Master Gardener
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
- Perfumes (Les Parfums)
- Frida La Vida: Great Art on Screen
- Long Live Rock: Celebrate The Chaos
- The Women’s Adventure Film Tour
- Exhibition On Screen: Easter In Art
City & Government
Newport & Bristol Counties
- 6 pm – Portsmouth School Committee
- 7 pm – Tiverton School Committee
Live on WUN
- 12 pm – A conversation with Dan Snydacker from Touro Synagogue Foundation
The Latest WUN Headlines
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- Now Hiring: 140+ job opportunities available in and around Newport right now (March 22)
- Division of Taxation announces Rhode Island will follow IRS deadline change; deadline now May 17
- 1 – 23 Pier Marketplace in Narragansett sells for $1.8 million
- What Sold: 25 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (March 15 – 22)
- Obituary | Jean Marie Cameron
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
COVID-19 in Rhode Island
The Boston Globe – Plant City X finds success during the pandemic
General Assembly – Senate Finance Committee to hear budget articles on housing and rent relief
General Assembly – Act on Climate scheduled for House vote today
Have a great Tuesday, we’ll see you out there.