Mary Florence Silvia, 88, passed away on March 19 at her home in Middletown, RI after a short illness. She was the wife of the late State Police Lieutenant Edwin R. Silvia (ret).
Florence was born on January 12, 1933 in Middletown, the only daughter of Phillip S. Garcia and Angelina (Sousa) Garcia. She graduated from Rogers High School in 1952 and then worked as a dental assistant to Dr. Joel Friedman, at his Newport office, until her marriage to Edwin Silvia, in 1956.
In her later years she enjoyed the quiet solitude of her bucolic home where she could be found reading, painting or completing her daily crossword. Florence had been a member of Jesus Saviour Church since her childhood.
She is survived by her loving children, Denise (Silvia) Lyons and husband Michael J. Lyons of Middletown, Christine (Silvia) MacNeil and husband, Phillip W. MacNeil of Bristol and Andrew R. Silvia of Middletown. Her beloved grandsons, G. E. Long, of Exeter, RI and Matthew P. Long and wife Nicole May, of Maumelle, AR and great-grandchildren Alexandria and Adrian May, her step-grandson J. T. MacNeil of Stuart Draft, Virginia, as well as many loved nieces and nephews.
Florence is also survived by her brother Joseph L. Garcia and his wife, Patricia (Sullivan) Garcia, of Middletown and was predeceased by her brothers Phillip J. Garcia and Augustine Garcia.
Calling hours are respectfully omitted. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at Jesus Saviour Church at 9:30 am. Burial will be private at St. Columba’s Catholic Cemetery in Middletown.
In lieu of flowers, Florence’s wish is that you donate to a charity close to your heart, in her name.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- City to Newport to kick off American Rescue Plan fund engagement process
- Newport Polo to host USA versus Mexico on Saturday
- What’sUp Interview: Sean Oshima of Oshima Brothers coming to Norman Bird Sanctuary September 24th
- ReVision: Newport Art Museum announces new exhibition by Annu Palakunnathu Matthew
- Aquidneck Land Trust announces the start of its annual Art & Writing Contest
- Gerry Goldstein: Music, with nature calling the tune
- Apple Picking Season has arrived! “Six Picks” Orchards in Newport County and beyond
- Jamestown Arts Center seeks artist submissions for ‘RAW: Reassessment and Wonder’
- National Data shows an increase in child poverty and uninsured children
- 24th International Seapower Symposium taking place at Naval War College this week