Our site doesn’t have a paywall and all of our content and newsletters are always free to read.
Instead, reader support and advertising from local businesses power our locally owned, independent newsroom. If you like what we do, a contribution of $8/month means more than you’d think, and any amount helps.
The latest What’s Up Newp newsletter is here.
>> For the second year in a row, the Aquidneck Island National Police Parade has been canceled. It was scheduled for Sunday, May 2. Story
>> Dan Snydacker, a board member and education chair of the Touro Synagogue Foundation, joins WhatsUpNewp for a live virtual video conversation on Tuesday at noon to discuss the Foundation’s upcoming lecture series, particularly its opening event on April 1, which explores the rise in anti-Semitism today. Story
>> General Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins WhatsUpNewp for a live virtual video conversation on Thursday at noon. We’ll talk about taxes – at least how those earning less than $72,000 a year could get free tax preparation assistance, talk about the Frontline Heroes Fund, small business support and recommendation on new stimulus relief. We’ll also explore how well the state’s retirement funds are doing, and learn of any legislative initiatives his office is planning. Story
>> In May, Discover Newport will open what it calls a “pop-up” visitors’ center, demonstrating its optimism that the local tourism industry will rebound this summer and fall, a prelude to a more robust recovery next year from a worldwide pandemic that started a year ago. Story
>> Looking for a new or additional job? The Chanler at Cliff Walk is hosting a job fair reception on Tuesday. More info, RSVP here
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Monday, March 22, 2021
~ Happy Birthday today to Robin Pasciuto, Javier Juarez, Dottie Whittier, and Mary Ellen Hawkins!
- Today – Patchy fog before 9 am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 53. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 8 mph in the morning.
- Tonight – Patchy fog after 5 am. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 36. Light and variable wind becoming north around 5 mph after midnight.
- Today – Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SSE 5 to 7 kt in the afternoon. Patchy fog before 9am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – Variable winds 5 kt or less. Patchy fog after 5am. Seas 1 ft or less.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:43 am | Sunset: 7 pm | 12 hours and 17 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 2:30 am & 3:12 pm | Low tide at 9:28 am & 8:46 pm.
- Moon: First Quarter Moon, 8 days, 55% lighting.
Things To Do
- Nothing scheduled.
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
- Frida La Vida: Great Art on Screen
- Perfumes (Les Parfums)
- Long Live Rock: Celebrate The Chaos
- The Women’s Adventure Film Tour
City & Government
The Latest WUN Headlines
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- Obituary | Dr. Robin Wallace
- RIDOH provides update on Rhode Island’s COVID-19 vaccine effort
- 19 Newport County Open Houses to check out this weekend (March 19 – 21)
- ‘Pop-Up’ Visitor Center demonstrates hope for the area’s tourism season
- Tom Jones shares new single “One More Cup Of Coffee”
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
COVID-19 in Rhode Island
East Bay RI – Portsmouth’s Patty Houlik named Math Teacher of the Year
That’s going to do it for us this morning, enjoy your Monday!