Our site doesn’t have a paywall and all of our content and newsletters are always free to read.
Instead, reader support and advertising from local businesses power our locally owned, independent newsroom. If you like what we do, a contribution of $8/month means more than you’d think, and any amount helps.
The latest What’s Up Newp newsletter is here. Subscribe below and we’ll deliver this right to your inbox everyday.
>> Those who remember the old Reeses commercial “you got chocolate in my peanut butter” might appreciate the new collaboration between Rejects Brewery and Hoist and Crane Coffee. You may recall, the two tastes combined were better than the original. WUN’s Ken Abrams with the story – Rejects Beer and Hoist and Crane Coffee announce new brew
>> Tucked away in a cozy nook at the intersection of Canal Street and Railroad Avenue in Westerly and backed up to the Connecticut border along the banks of the Pawcatuck River, The Savoy Bookshop & Café has come to represent the cultural and spiritual center of downtown Westerly, especially during the past year. Not to mention, they were able to rehabilitate a major historical piece of the downtown landscape when they opened in 2016 in the former, “Martin House.” WUN’s Thom Cahir with the story – RI Bookstores: We visit the Savoy in Westerly
>> WUN’s movie critic Alexander Harrison reviews “The Father” – What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “The Father”.
A few things coming up this week;
~ The International Tennis Hall Of Fame reopens on Thursday.
~ Frosty Freez and the ice cream stand at Anna D’s reopens on Thursday.
~ Touro Synagogue Foundation is hosting a virtual talk on Thursday on the state of antisemitism today.
~ Thursday is 401Gives Day, a statewide giving day that hopes to raise $1.5 million for local nonprofits.
~ Newport Daffodil Days kicks off its month-long celebration this week.
~ Friday is Good Friday and Sunday is Easter. Here’s who’s serving up Easter brunch, dinner if you need options.
>> Newport has a long history of socialites, presidents, celebrities, and famous people visiting, filming, and sailing in The City By The Sea. Today we revisit our story on the actors, actresses, and celebrities who were born, raised, or have ties to Newport – 18 famous actors and actresses that have ties to Newport.
Our content is free and always will be, but we rely on your support to sustain it.
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Monday, March 29
~ Happy Birthday today to Susan Zinno, Brian Lima, Matt Hadfield, Sarah Harkness, Andrea Flax, Christopher McDonough, and Joyce Poulter!
- Wind Advisory until March 29, 04:00 PM EDT
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today – Sunny, with a high near 50. Breezy, with a west wind 18 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph.
- Tonight – Clear, with a low around 33. West wind 5 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.
- Gale Warning until March 29, 06:00 PM EDT
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today – WNW wind 18 to 20 kt, with gusts as high as 39 kt. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – WNW wind 7 to 12 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 23 kt. Clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Current Water Temperature: 40°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:32 am | Sunset: 7:08 pm | 12 hours and 36 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 8:57 am & 9:22 pm | Low tide at 2:24 am and 2:35 pm.
- Moon: Full moon, 15 days, 100% lighting.
Things To Do
- Nothing scheduled
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- 6:30 pm – Jamestown Town Council
The Latest WUN Headlines
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- 18 famous actors and actresses that have ties to Newport
- RI Bookstores: We visit the Savoy in Westerly
- 25+ longest-running restaurants in and around Newport
- 12 Newport County Open Houses to check out this weekend (March 27 – 28)
- What’s Up in Newport County this week: March 29 – April 4