Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Good Morning, today is Thursday, July 14.
🌊 On this day in 1966, Singer, songwriter, and guitarist Tanya Donelly was born in Newport.
🌊 The Mooring, Boat House, Coast Guard House, and Los Andes are among OpenTable’s “100 Best Restaurants for Outdoor Dining”.
🌊 The Harvest Fair is returning to Norman Bird Sanctuary in October.
🌊 We caught up with Ballroom Thieves about their new album and upcoming performance at Newport Folk Festival.
🌊 Today is the Quarterfinals at the Infosys Hall of Fame Open. Today will include two singles matches and four doubles matches. Gates open at 10 am, and tennis begins at 11 am.
🌊 The Preservation Society of Newport County will open its Gilded Age Summer Lecture Series today at 6 pm with “The Whole Gilded Age: Newport and Beyond,” by Ulysses Grant Dietz.
🌊 Local musicians Ed Nary and Tom Perrotti are hosting a performance by Claudia Russell and Bruce Kaplan at Thriving Tea Coffeehouse today at 6 pm.
🌊 Celebrate Doris Duke’s affinity for jazz music and Newport’s special connection to the art form at Jazz On The Lawn at Rough Point today at 6 pm.
🌊 newportFILM will present The Yin and Yang of Gerry Lopez at Safe Harbor New England Boatworks in Portsmouth tonight at 8:25 pm.
What’s Up Today
- Today: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 5 pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 81. Calm wind becoming southwest 5 to 9 mph in the morning. The chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 8 pm. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 65. West wind around 6 mph becoming light and variable. The chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Tomorrow: Sunny, with a high near 80. North wind around 7 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
- Tomorrow Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 65. South wind 3 to 8 mph.
- Today: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SSW 5 to 8 kt in the afternoon. A chance of showers and thunderstorms then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 5 pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: Variable winds 5 kt or less. Showers and thunderstorms are likely, mainly before 8 pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 68°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:23 am | Sunset: 8:17 pm | 14 hours & 53 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 8:52 am & 9:19 pm | Low tide at 2:40 am & 2:19 pm.
- Moon: Full Moon, 15 days, 100% lighting.
Things To Do
- 10 am: Infosys Hall Of Fame Open at the International Tennis Hall Of Fame
- 11 am: Newport Classical presents Emily Levin: The Glass Salon at The Elms
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Discover Colonial Newport
- 11 am: Colonial Jewish Walking Tours
- 1 pm: Newport History Site Tours: Seventh Day Baptist Meeting House
- 6 pm: Preservation Society Lecture Series: “The Whole Gilded Age: Newport and Beyond”
- 6 pm: Jazz on the Lawn- Mar Fayos Project at Rough Point
- 6 pm: Easton’s Beach Children’s Night featuring Big Joe Storyteller at Easton’s Beach
- 6 pm: Meet & Greet to Send the Kids to Washington! at Greenvale Vineyards
- 6:30 pm: Mushroom Hunting Summer Lecture Series at Norman Bird Sanctuary
- 7 pm: Ketel Cafe at Hill Market at Hotel Viking
- 8 pm: Newport Classical presents Emi Ferguson, Keir GoGwilt and Ruckus at The Breakers
- 8:25 pm: The Yin and Yang of Gerry Lopez: newportFILM Outdoors at Safe Harbor New Englan Boatworks
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Easton’s Beach: Children’s Night with Big Joe Storyteller at 6 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Elvis at 4 pm, Independence Day at 7:30 pm
- Landing: Jay Parker at 1 pm, Mark Flynn at 4:30 pm, Timmy Smith at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Howlin’ Rhodes from 8 pm to 11 pm
- newportFILM: The Yin and Yang of Gerry Lopez at Safe Harbor New England Boatworks at 8:25 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Felix Brown Band at 8 pm
- Newport Classical: Emily Levin: The Glass Salon at 11 am at The Elms, Emi Ferguson, Keir GoGwilt and Ruckus at 8 pm at The Breakers
- O’Brien’s Pub: Derrick Keane live on the patio from 5 pm to 8 pm
- One Pelham East: Hit Play Band at 8 pm
- Perro Salado: The Honky Tonk Knights at 9 pm
- Ragged Island Brewing: Trivia in the Barn at 6 pm
- Rough Point: Jazz on the Lawn- Mar Fayos Project at 6 pm
- The Reef: Eric Fontana from 7 pm to 10 pm
- Thriving Tea Coffeehouse: Claudia Russell and Bruce Kaplan at 6 pm
- Top of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- Jamestown: Jamestown School Committee at 6:30 pm
- Newport: Newport Waterfront Commission at 6:30 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Recreation Commission at 6 pm, Tiverton Economic Development Commission at 7 pm
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Let the community know about your event, announcement, or other news. Submit posts here.
Community Posts can be used to promote an organization, an event, or job opportunity; for announcements, notices or press releases; or just to let the community know about something of interest.
We’ll See You Out There
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.