Subscribe to our newsletter
>> Beginning today, people age 50 to 59 can sign up to be vaccinated at pharmacies, and at local and regional vaccination sites. Starting today, they can also sign up for appointments at State-run sites on www.vaccinateRI.org. New appointments for State-run sites open every Tuesday at 9 a.m. and every Friday at 5 p.m.
>> The Senate Committee on Rules, Government Ethics and Oversight will be meeting virtually today at 5:30 p.m.to hear an overview and review of the Executive Orders issued as a result of and during the COVID-19 pandemic. The committee is chaired by Sen. Louis P. DiPalma (D-Dist. 12, Middletown, Little Compton, Newport, Tiverton).
>> OK, admit it. During the biggest awards show, you always say to yourself, “I wish I had a chance to see those – they look interesting.”
Of course, we’re talking about Oscar-nominated “shorts,” those films that have all the cinematic beauty and emotional intensity of feature films, just shorter. Fear not, movie fans, we’ve found them all in one place, at a reasonable price, for your previewing pleasure.
Now you can be “in the know” in those early hours of the Academy Award broadcast, as Jane Pickens Theatre presents the “2021 Oscar Nominated Shorts” in its at home virtual cinema. Story
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Monday, April 5
~ Happy Birthday today to Newport Mayor Jeanne Marie Napolitano, Kelsey Collard, Tom Erb, Graham Mellor, Lauren Stevens, and Catherine Cloney!
- Special Weather Statement
- Today –Partly sunny, with a high near 56. Northwest wind 15 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.
- Tonight –Mostly clear, with a low around 41. Northwest wind 13 to 16 mph.
- Small Craft Advisory until April 5, 06:00 PM EDT
- Today –NNW wind 14 to 16 kt, with gusts as high as 25 kt. Partly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight –NW wind 11 to 14 kt. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Thecurrent water temperature in Newportis43°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:20 am | Sunset: 7:16 pm | 12 hours and 56 minutesof sun.
- High tide at 3:03 am & 3:34 pm | Low tide at 10:20 am and 10:16 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 23 days, 43% lighting.
Things To Do
JPT Film & Event CenterVirtual Screening Room
- National Theatre Live: War Horse
- Oscar Shorts: Animated
- Oscar Shorts: Live Action
- Oscar Shorts: Documentary
City & Government
- 6:30 pm – Newport Planning Board
- 6 pm – Middletown Town Council
- 7 pm – Tiverton Harbor Commission
- 9 am – Little Compton Pension Committee
Watch Live on What’s Up Newp
The Latest Headlines on WhatsUpNewp.com
For the very latest news and information, visitwww.whatsupnewp.com.
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- Why Easter is called Easter, and other little-known facts about the holiday
- This day in RI history: April 4, 1866 -George Pierce Baker born in Providence
- Home on Anthony Road in Common Fence Point sells for $1.65 million
- Newport Gallery Night returns on April 8
- ‘Stone Ledge’ on Indian Avenue in Portsmouth sells for $3.223 million
Become A What’s Up Newp Supporter
At a time when local, independent news is more important than ever, support from our readers is essential. If you are able to, pleasesupport ustoday.
Around The Web
- CBS 42 – Ancient coins may solve mystery of murderous 1600s pirate (Middletown’s Sweet Berry Farm is part of this story)
- The Daily Orange – Cole Swider reveals why he’s transferring to Syracuse: ‘It was meant to be’
- General Assembly – Senate Rules, Government Ethics and Oversight Committee meets Monday for a review of COVID-19 Executive Orders
- East Bay RI – Friends of Portsmouth Senior Center’s proposal called ‘fatally flawed’