>> The House of Representatives last night approved legislation sponsored by Rep. Lauren Carson to update Rhode Island’s climate-emission reduction goals and to make them enforceable. Story
>> After a three-month-long search, the City of Newport has named a new harbormaster. Story
>> Newport City Council will host a regular council meeting this evening at 6:30 pm. Among the items on the agenda are resolutions relating to real estate transfer tax, developing fairness of outcomes or equity into the Comprehensive Land Use Plan, and a Children’s Bike Trail. There is special event license applications for the Newport Oyster & Chowder Festival, Newport Charter Yacht Show, and Hall Of Fame Open. See the full agenda here and watch the meeting live on WUN as it happens.
>> Ragged Island Brewing shared some good news yesterday – including that their outdoor beer garden will return in April and that they should be open in their new home later this year. See the post below for all of the good news they had to share.raggedislandA post shared by @raggedisland
>> Good news for music fans – Newport Blues Cafe will reopen this weekend! The Van Pelt Trio is scheduled for Friday night, Chopville scheduled for Saturday night. Story.
>> Each year Potter League For Animals “Love Bash for Animals” celebrates our shared compassion for animals in need. Since we cannot meet in person this year, the Potter League invites you to celebrate the spirit of our past Love Bash for Animals events through our 2021 No Bash for Animals by making a donation or participating in our online auction. Relax and stay at home while saving animals. More Info / Auction
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Wednesday, March 24, 2021
~ Happy Birthday today to John Cardullo and Mimi Dowd!
- Special Weather Statement
- Today – Patchy dense fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 50. Southeast wind 3 to 7 mph.
- Tonight – Showers, mainly after 10pm. Patchy fog. Low around 43. Southeast wind around 9 mph. The chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Today – Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming ESE around 6 kt in the afternoon. A slight chance of showers after 5 pm. Patchy dense fog before 11 am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – ESE wind around 8 kt. Showers, mainly before 5am. Patchy fog. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Current Water Temperature: 39°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:40 am | Sunset: 7:03 pm | 12 hours and 23 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 4:42 am & 5:18 pm | Low tide at 11:23 am & 11:03 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 10 days, 74% lighting.
Things To Do
- Nothing scheduled.
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
- Perfumes (Les Parfums)
- Frida La Vida: Great Art on Screen
- Long Live Rock: Celebrate The Chaos
- The Women’s Adventure Film Tour
- Exhibition On Screen: Easter In Art
City & Government
- 6:30 pm – Newport City Council
- 4 pm – Little Compton Town Council
- 6:30 pm – Newport City Council Meeting
The Latest WUN Headlines
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- 1 – 23 Pier Marketplace in Narragansett sells for $1.8 million
- What Sold: 25 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (March 15 – 22)
- Now Hiring: 140+ job opportunities available in and around Newport right now (March 22)
- Owner of Wayfinder Hotel in Newport acquires hotel in Hawaii, will open as Wayfinder Waikiki
- Middletown-based SEACORP acquired in a private transaction
The Latest: COVID-19 / Vaccine
We’ll see you out there!
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library