Your local, independent source for what’s up in Newport, Rhode Island, & beyond.
Good Morning, today is Thursday, August 11.
🌊 On this day in 1866, James Plimpton, inventor of the modern quad roller skate, and the New York Roller Skating Association leased The Atlantic House Hotel in Newport and converted the dining room into a skating area. This was the first roller skating rink open to the public in the United States! Read More
🌊 WUN’s Frank Prosnitz with the latest from the 2022 election trail – Election 2022: Endorsements … Endorsements … and more Endorsements
🌊 A special Waterfire this weekend celebrating communities of color is coming to downtown Providence on Saturday. WUN’s Ken Abrams spoke to RI-based hip-hop artist Carvalho recently and learned more about what he’s been up to lately. Read More – What’s Up Interview: Award-winning RI hip-hop artist Chachi Carvalho, playing Waterfire August 13.
🌊 WUN’s Frank O’Donnell has the latest on a new local theater company’s debut performance – RI Shakespeare Rep to present ‘Midsummer Night’s Dream’ at John Brown House in Providence Aug. 12-14.
🌊 Support local, independent journalism – Consider supporting us with a one-time, monthly, or annual contribution. What’sUpNewp relies on reader support so we can continue to provide you with reliable, independent reporting for our Newport County and Rhode Island communities. Learn More
🌊 newportFILM will screen Mickey: The Story of a Mouse at Eisenhower House this evening at 8 pm.
🌊 The Salve Summer Sizzler will take place on the lawn of Ochre Court on Sunday, August 14. According to Salve, this event is open to Salve Regina staff, faculty, students and alumni, as well as friends and family. [SalveToday]
🌊 Touro Synagogue will host its 75th Annual George Washington Letter Reading, an event honoring our nation’s heritage of religious freedom, on August 21. You can watch it virtually! Learn More
🌊 Senators Jack Reed and Sheldon Whitehouse secured a $1.6 million earmark for Roger Williams University to provide support for shellfish aquaculture farmers in Rhode Island through aquaculture research, resources, and legal services. [EastBayRI]
🌊 After a fight at their establishment on Monday, the owners of Ballard’s Beach Resort on Block Island are canceling the upcoming Roots & Rhythm Festival. [WPRI]
What’s Up Today
- Today: Showers likely, mainly between 7 am and 1 pm. Cloudy, with a high near 76. Light southeast wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the morning. The chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and a quarter of an inch possible.
- Tonight: A slight chance of showers before 10 pm. Patchy fog after 10 pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. Southeast wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening. The chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Today: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SSE 5 to 8 kt in the morning. Showers are likely, mainly before 1 pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: Variable winds 5 kt or less. A slight chance of showers before 10 pm. Patchy fog after 10 pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 70°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:50 am | Sunset: 7:50 pm | 14 hours of sun.
- High tide at 7:44 am & 8:12 pm | Low tide at 1:32 am & 1:14 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 13.5 days, 98% lighting.
Things To Do
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Discover Colonial Newport
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 11 am: Colonial Jewish Walking Tours
- 1 pm: Newport History Site Tours: Seventh Day Baptist Meeting House
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 6 pm: Behind The Scenes of “The Gilded Age” in person at Rosecliff or Zoom
- 6 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 6:30 pm: Mushroom Hunting Summer Lecture Series at Norman Bird Sanctuary
- 7 pm to 10 pm: Ketel Cafe at Hill Market at Hotel Viking
- 7:15 pm: Full Moon Rides with Bike Newport, sponsored by AARP Rhode Island
- 8 pm: Mickey: The Story of a Mouse: newportFILM Outdoors at Eisenhower House
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Eisenhower House: Mickey: The Story of a Mouse: newportFILM Outdoors at 8 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Marcel The Shell With Shoes On at 4:30 pm & 7:30 pm
- Landing: Jay Parker at 1 pm, Mark Flynn at 4:30 pm, Timmy Smith at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Outcry from 8 pm to 11 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Felix Brown Band at 8 pm
- One Pelham East: Live music at 8 pm
- Perro Salado: Steve Cerelli at 9 pm
- Ragged Island Brewing: Trivia in the Barn at 6 pm
- The Deck: Zane Christopher from 6 pm to 9 pm
- The Reef: Mel from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Top of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Colin Van Pelt from 7:30 pm to 10:30 pm
City & Government
- Newport: Newport Waterfront Commission at 6:30 pm
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.
Advertise to Readership of 140,000 – Promote your business to our 140,000 monthly readers and 26,000 email subscribers. Includes reporting on impressions, clicks, and cities of our readers. Huge reach on and off the island. Get pricing.