Your local, independent news source for What’s Up in Newport, Rhode Island, and beyond. Est. 2012
Good Morning, today is Sunday, July 31.
🌊 A sell-out crowd squeezed into Fort Adams State Park Saturday, July 30 for Day 2 of the 2022 Newport Jazz Festival. Once again it was a day for youth to shine, as well as one that saw women artists taking charge.
There was more energy in the line-up than ever before behind bands like Sons of Kemet, Cory Wong, and Fort Stage closer, The Fearless Flyers. Jazz festival newcomers Yussef Dayes and Sullivan Fortner brought some heat and Eric Wurzelbacher was strong on “fill-in duty” for the Jack DeJohnette Quartet.
WUN’s Ken Abrams and Rick Farrell with more – 2022 Newport Jazz Festival – Day 2 recap and photos
🌊 The third and final day of the Newport Jazz Festival gets underway at 11 am this morning. Today will feature Digable Planets, Angelique Kidjo, PJ Morton, a tribute to longtime producer George Wein, and much more. Limited Tickets are still available here.
🌊 After another offensive explosion for the Newport Gulls (30-14) with a 10-run sixth inning, the Gulls clinched the first-ever Coastal Division title. Newport defeated its in-state rivals, the Ocean State Waves (21-22) 10-3 at Cardines Field in the sixth and final regular season matchup between the two teams on Friday, winning the season series 4-2. It is Newport’s first division title since 2015, and the first time with 30 or more wins in the regular season since 2013.
Have a great Sunday,
What’s Up Today
- Today: Sunny, with a high near 80. Light and variable wind becoming south 6 to 11 mph in the afternoon.
- Tonight: Increasing clouds, with a low around 70. South wind 5 to 7 mph.
- Tomorrow: Mostly sunny, with a high near 79. Southwest wind 8 to 11 mph becoming southeast in the afternoon.
- Tomorrow Night: A slight chance of showers before 9 pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 69. Southeast wind 5 to 7 mph becoming southwest after midnight. The chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Today: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming S 5 to 10 kt in the afternoon. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: SSW wind around 6 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt. A slight chance of showers after 5 am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 71°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:39 am | Sunset: 8:03 pm | 14 hours & 23 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 10:20 am & 10:28 pm | Low tide at 3:52 am & 3:47 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 2 days, 5% lighting.
Things To Do
- 8 am to 10 am: Cars & Coffee at Newport International Polo Series
- 10 am to 1:30 pm: Tiverton Farmers Market at Tiverton Middle School Gymnasium
- 10 am to 4 pm: The 2022 Newport Show at The Audrain Middletown
- 10 am to 7 pm: Newport Jazz Festival at Fort Adams
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Golden to Gilded
- 11 am: Colonial Jewish Walking Tours
- 1 pm: Three Angels Fund 2022 Fundraiser at Kempenaar’s Clambake Club
- 2 pm: Cocktail Wars Summer Splash sponsored by TUCK Gin at Bar & Board
- 3 pm & 6 pm: Revolve Dance Project live at The JPT
- 5 pm: Summer Concert Series featuring Back In The Day at Burr’s Hill Park
- 5 pm to 7 pm: Roam Around Rough Point
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Blue Anchor Grill: Chris & Diane at 6:30 pm
- Castle Hill Inn: Live Jazz Music from 11:30 am to 3 pm at the Terrace Bar
- Clarke Cooke House: Bobby Ferreira at 12:30 pm
- Fastnet Irish Pub: Irish Sessions from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Fifth Element: Live music at 11 am
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille: Keith J.G. McCurdy of Vudu Sister from 12 pm to 3 pm
- Gurney’s: Brian Scott Band from 6 pm to 9 pm at The Pineapple Club, DJ from 5 pm to 10 pm at The Fire Pit
- Irish American Club: Karaoke at 9 pm
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Live music from 3 pm to 7 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Revolve Dance Project live at 3 pm & 6 pm
- King Park: Bar Fly, CC Louise & Friends from 3 pm to 6 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 11 am to 2 pm
- Landing: Jim Devlin at 4:30 pm, Timeless at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Live music from 4 pm to 7 pm
- O’Brien’s Pub: George Zecher on Steel Drums from 3 pm to 6 pm, Bingo inside at 7 pm
- One Pelham East: Live music at 5 pm
- Pour Judgement: Los Duderinos at 10 pm
- The Chanler at Cliff Walk: Blues & Jazz music in the Wine Garden from 2 pm to 5 pm
- The Firehouse Theater: Chase Ceglie Jazz Quartet at 5 pm
- The Reef: Randy Robbins from 1 pm to 4 pm, Mel from 7 pm to 10 pm
- Top of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- No public meetings are scheduled in Newport County.
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
By Ken Abrams and Rick Farrell
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Boston Herald: Step into ‘Gilded Age’ with tour of Newport mansions
We’ll See You Out There
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.