Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Good Morning, today is Thursday, July 28.
🌊 The 2022 Newport Jazz Festival arrives this weekend! The festival features a truly phenomenal line up with diverse acts representing numerous genres, all connecting to jazz on some level.
Here are a few bands that you shouldn’t miss – ‘Six Picks’ Newport Jazz: ‘Not to be missed’ sets at this weekend’s Newport Jazz Festival
🌊 The 2022 Newport Folk Festival featured artists in genres from hip-hop to rock, punk to bluegrass. One young artist is among those focused on keeping the folk tradition alive.
I spoke to teenage banjo extraordinaire Nora Brown who is turning 17 next week. Needless to say, she was excited to be returning to the festival where she played a brief set last year.
WUN’s Ken Abrams with more – What’s it like to play the Newport Folk Festival? Meet 16-year-old banjo sensation Nora Brown
🌊 Speaking of Newport Folk, WUN’s Angela Marandola shares some thoughts on last weekend’s festival – Newport Folk 2022: A lot more than just the headliners
🌊 Thanks to Newport Live, we’ve got two pairs of tickets to giveaway to a high-energy show coming to the Newport Congregational Church this Saturday night.
🌊 Aquidneck Land Trust has announced the conservation of 20.97 acres of land north of Bramans Lane in Portsmouth.
🌊 newportFILM presents Hargrove on the lawn at Rough Point this evening at 8:15 pm.
What’s Up Today
- Today: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 8 am. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 78. Light south wind increasing to 6 to 11 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 21 mph. The chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 9 pm. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71. South wind 5 to 7 mph becoming light and variable after midnight. The chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Tomorrow: Mostly sunny, with a high near 80. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Tomorrow Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 8 pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Southwest wind around 7 mph becoming west after midnight. The chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Today: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming S 5 to 10 kt in the morning. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 8 am. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: S wind around 6 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt after midnight. A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 9pm. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 70°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:36 am | Sunset: 8:06 pm | 14 hours & 29 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 8:27 am & 8:43 pm | Low tide at 2:10 am & 1:40 pm.
- Moon: Waning Crescent, 28.8 days, 1% lighting.
Things To Do
- 10 am to 2 pm: America’s Eden Book Signing Reception at Redwood Library
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Discover Colonial Newport
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises
- 11 am: Colonial Jewish Walking Tours
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises
- 1 pm: Newport History Site Tours: Seventh Day Baptist Meeting House
- 5 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cheer Cruises
- 5:30 pm: America’s Eden Book Signing Reception at Redwood Library
- 5:30 pm: The Mount Vernon Ladies Association presents George Washington and The Pursuit of Religious Freedom at The JPT
- 6 pm: Easton’s Beach Children’s Night featuring Toe Jam Puppet Band at Easton’s Beach
- 7 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises
- 8:15 pm: newportFILM presents Hargrove on the lawn at Rough Point
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Easton’s Beach: Toe Jam Puppet Band at 6 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: The Mount Vernon Ladies Association presents George Washington and The Pursuit of Religious Freedom at 5:30 pm
- Landing: Jay Parker at 1 pm, Dan Decristofaro at 4:30 pm, Cole & John at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Live music from 8 pm to 11 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Felix Brown Band at 8 pm
- O’Brien’s Pub: Derrick Keane live on the patio from 5 pm to 8 pm
- One Pelham East: Blockhead at 8 pm
- Perro Salado: The Honky Tonk Knights at 9 pm
- Ragged Island Brewing: Trivia in the Barn at 6 pm
- The Reef: Brian Scott from 2 pm to 5 pm
- Top of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- Middletown: Middletown Prevention Coalition at 5:30 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Solar Ordinance Advisory Committee at 6:30 pm
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Rhode Island Monthly: Revolve Dance Project Introduces Second Season in Newport
Jamestown Press: HE’S JAMESTOWN TUFF
We’ll See You Out There
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.