Good Morning, today is Saturday, August 6.
🌊 On the market for a new home in Newport County? WUN’s Tyler Bernadyn with a roundup of the open houses that are happening this weekend – 23 Open Houses in Newport County this weekend
🌊 Instead of a new home, are you on the market to purchase a business? Here’s what’s available to purchase out there right now – Liquor store, Food Magazine, and other businesses currently for sale in Rhode Island
🌊 Time for a new job, gig, or career? Here are 100 job opportunities available right now in and around Newport
🌊 If you’re looking to enjoy some live music this weekend, WUN’s Ken Abrams has you covered – ‘Six Picks’ Music: The best in local music this weekend (August 5-7)
🌊 More than 200 swimmers participating in Save The Bay’s 46th annual Swim will embark across Narragansett Bay this morning in the nonprofit organization’s biggest fundraising event of the year. Read More
🌊 Open Studios and Drive-By Art return to Conanicut Island today from 10 am – 4 pm. Jointly hosted by the Jamestown Arts Center and Conanicut Island Art Association, Open Studios is a one-day, island-wide event where participating artists invite the public into their studios or to see their work outside while passing by. Read More
🌊 After the Gilded Age: An Afternoon Society Series continues at The JPT today with a screening of The Great Gatsby.
🌊 Team USA will take on New Zealand at Newport Polo this afternoon at 5 pm.
🌊 On August 24, Reading with Robin and The Rhode Show will host their first annual literary event at the Greenwich Odeum, centered around the new historical fiction novel – The Lost Summers of Newport. [Rhode Island Monthly]
~ Ryan Belmore
Support local, independent journalism – Consider supporting us with a one-time, monthly, or annual contribution. What’sUpNewp relies on reader support so we can continue to provide you with reliable, independent reporting for our Newport County and Rhode Island communities. Learn More
Advertise to a Readership of 140,000 – Promote your business to our 140,000 monthly readers and 26,000 email subscribers. Includes reporting on impressions, clicks, and cities of our readers. Huge reach on and off the island. Get pricing.
What’s Up Today
- Today: Patchy fog before 7 am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 84. Southwest wind 6 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph.
- Tonight: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 74. Southwest wind 7 to 9 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. The chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Today: SSW wind 5 to 8 kt increasing to 8 to 11 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 kt. Patchy fog before 7 am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: SSW wind 6 to 8 kt. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 72°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:45 am | Sunset: 7:57 pm | 14 hours & 11 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 2:31 am & 3:06 pm | Low tide at 7:49 am & 9:24 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 7.9 days, 56% lighting.
Things To Do
- 8:30 am: Save The Bay Swim 2022
- 9 am: Fools Rules Regatta
- 9 am to 12 pm: Aquidneck Growers Market at Embrace Home Loans
- 9:30 am: Yoga for All at The Norman Bird Sanctuary
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: The Point Neighborhood
- 12 pm to 4 pm: Ketel One Botanicals Spritz Bar at Hotel Viking
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 2 pm: Newport History Walking Tours: Discover Colonial Newport
- 5 pm: Newport International Polo Series
- 6 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 7 pm to 10 pm: Ketel Cafe at Hill Market at Hotel Viking
- 7 pm & 9 pm: Improv with the Bit Players at The Firehouse Theater
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Bar & Board: Mel at 7:30 pm
- Blue Anchor Grill: Live music at 6:30 pm
- Buskers: Brian Twohey at 9 pm
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10 pm
- Clarke Cooke House: Live music at 10 pm
- Dockside: Inside Out at 9 pm
- Fifth Element: Lois Vaughan Jazz Trio from 11 am to 3 pm
- Greenvale Vineyards: Dick Lupino & friends from 1 pm to 4 pm
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille: Neal McCarthy Duo from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Gurney’s: Chelley Knight Band from 6 pm to 9 pm at The Pineapple Club, DJ from 5 pm to 10 pm on The Firepit Deck
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Live music from 6 pm to 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: The Great Gatsby at 4:30 pm, Marcel The Shells with Shoes On at 7:30 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 6 pm to 10 pm
- Landing: Steve Demers at 1 pm, Dave Alves Band at 4:30 pm, Timeless at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: The Teledynes from 8 pm to 11:30 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Never In Vegas at 9 pm
- O’Brien’s Pub: C Gray the DJ from 10 pm to close
- One Pelham East: Live music at 4:30 pm, live music at 8:30 pm, DJ at 11 pm
- Shops at Long Wharf: YNot3 from 1 pm to 5 pm
- Speakeasy: Live music at 10 pm
- The Firehouse Theatre: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 7 pm & 9 pm
- The Reef: Brian Scott from 1 pm to 4 pm, Lucas Neil from 4 pm to 7 pm, OutCry from 7 pm to 10 pm
- Top of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm & 10:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- No meetings are scheduled in Newport County.
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.