Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Good Morning, today is Wednesday, August 3.
🌊 Another in a series of world-class concerts is coming to the Norman Bird Sanctuary on Friday, August 5 when Americana singer-songwriter Lisa Morales makes a stop in Newport. We’ve got a pair of tickets to give away to the show courtesy of Newport Live. Read More
🌊 More than 200 swimmers participating in Save The Bay’s 46th annual Swim will embark across Narragansett Bay on Saturday, August 6 in the nonprofit organization’s biggest fundraising event of the year.
🌊 “After The Gilded Age: An Afternoon Society Series” at The JPT will feature Reversal of Fortune (1990), The Great Gatsby (1974), Grey Gardens (1975), and High Society (1956). Read More
🌊 WUN’s Frank Prosnitz with a look at the latest in campaign finances – Gubernatorial candidates report finances as campaigns enter final stretch
🌊 WUN’s Ken Abrams caught up with Samara Joy at the Newport Jazz Festival – What’s Up Interview: Samara Joy shines at 2022 Newport Jazz Festival
🌊 WUN’s Tyler Bernadyn with a look at what homes changed hands across Newport County last week – What Sold: 20 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (July 25 – 29)
What’s Up Today
- Heat Advisory in effect from August 4, 11:00 AM until August 5, 08:00 PM
- Today: Sunny, with a high near 82. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
- Tonight: Patchy fog after 4 am. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 70. South wind 3 to 6 mph.
- Tomorrow: Patchy fog before 8 am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 86. South wind 7 to 14 mph.
- Tomorrow Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 73. Southwest wind 7 to 10 mph.
- Today: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming S 5 to 9 kt in the afternoon. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: Variable winds 5 kt or less. Patchy fog after 4 am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 70°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:42 am | Sunset: 8pm | 14 hours & 17 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 12:28 pm | Low tide at 5:20 am & 5:51 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 4.9 days, 25% lighting.
Things To Do
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 2 pm to 6 pm: Wednesday Aquidneck Growers Market on Memorial Blvd.
- 4:15 pm: Senior Ballroom Dance Classes at Common Fence Point Community Center
- 6 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 7 pm: Family Friendly Funnies with the Bit Players
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Team Trivia at 7:30 pm
- Fastnet Pub: Trivia at 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Top Gun: Maverick at 4:30 pm, CatVideoFest at 7:30 pm
- Landing: Jay Parker at 1 pm, Mike Wendoloski at 4:30 pm, Jim Devlin at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Wright Brothers Birthday Bash from 8 pm to 11 pm
- Newport Vineyards: Live music from 5 pm to 8 pm
- One Pelham East: Adam Go from 4 pm to 7:30 pm
- Perro Salado: The Z-Boys from 9 pm to 12 am
- The Firehouse Theatre: Family Friendly Funnies with the Bit Players at 7 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- Jamestown: Jamestown Planning Commission at 7 pm
- Little Compton: Little Compton Fireworks Committee at 9 am, Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust at 7 pm
- Middletown: Middletown School Building Committee at 5 pm
- Newport: Newport Beach Commission at 5 pm
- Portsmouth: Portsmouth Harbor Commission at 7 pm, Portsmouth Melville Park Committee at 7 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Town Council at 6 pm, Tiverton Zoning Board of Review at 7 pm
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.