On Wednesday morning, Newport Police Department provided What’sUpNewp with the following information in regards to a robbery and stabbing that took place in the area of Queen Anne Square overnight;
On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at approximately midnight, Newport Police Officers were dispatched to the area of Thames Street by #250 Thames Street for a reported stabbing. Upon arrival, Officers encountered a 27 year old local man suffering from a stab wound on his right side hip area of his body. Police learned that two suspects had tried to rob the man of his money while the man was seated in Queen Anne Square playing his guitar. Officers learned from several witnesses that two male subjects had fled the scene. A short time later, Newport Police Patrol Officers conducted a traffic stop in the Mary Street Parking Lot. During an on scene investigation, the two subjects in the stopped vehicle were identified as the assailants in this 1st degree Robbery and Felony Assault. The victim was transported to Newport Hospital for initial treatment and was reported in stable condition. The victim was then subsequently transported to Rhode Island Hospital for further treatment.
The suspects listed below will be arraigned later today at Newport County District Court on the below charges.
The suspects are identified as; Christopher X. Paixao, 29 of 48 Evarts Street, Newport, RI Paixao is charged with;
1) Assault with Intent to Commit a Felony 2) Robbery-1st Degree 3) Conspiracy to commit a crime 4) Carrying a dangerous weapon/substance when used in a crime of violence 5) Disorderly Conduct
Andrew Joseph Strattner, 28 of 21 Butler Street, Newport, RI. Strattner is charged with;
1) Assault with Intent to Commit a Felony 2) Robbery-1st Degree 3) Conspiracy to commit a crime 4) Carrying a dangerous weapon/substance when used in a crime of violence 5) Felony Assault by a device similar to a firearm (Mallet) 6) Possession of Schedule I-V (except marijuana) 7) Possession of Schedule 1-V (except marijuana) 8) Disorderly Conduct
This story is developing and will be updated as more information is received.
The Latest From WUN
- Weather Alert: High Wind Warning issued for the region – Storm arrives Tuesday
- Obituary: Elizabeth Marion (Matter) Chambers
- Best-selling author Ann Hood hosts ‘The Writing Life’ public talk at Salve Regina on Oct. 30
- Brown University to significantly expand financial aid and college access
- What’s Up This Week: Hocus Pocus, Tour de Fright, Halloween festivities, and much more