>> Round of applause all around. In the last 24 hours, 401Gives raised $2,162,965 for 420 organizations across the state! Some of the biggest fundraisers in Newport County included the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center (more than $75,000), Newport County YMCA (more than $14,000), and Lucy’s Hearth (more than $12,000). Check out how your favorite local nonprofits did at www.401gives.org.
>> 12,000 additional COVID-19 vaccination appointments will be posted on www.vaccinateRI.org today at 5 pm. This is the largest batch of vaccine appointments in Rhode Island to date. The vaccine is currently available statewide for people who are 60 to 64, people who are 16 to 64 with certain underlying health conditions, and people who were previously eligible in Phase 1.
>> On Monday, people 50 to 59 years of age will be eligible to register to get vaccinated at vaccination sites in Rhode Island.
>> Governor Dan McKee yesterday announced plans for a new rental assistance program for eligible Rhode Island renters struggling to pay their rent or utilities as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Story
>> Island Cinemas reopens today. Story
>> This Day in History: Musician Leon Wilkeson was born on March 2, 1952, in Newport. He grew up in Jacksonville, FL, and went on to become the main bass player in the southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd in the 1970s, the heydey of the band. Storyhttps://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/QxIWDmmqZzY?rel=0&autoplay=0&showinfo=0&enablejsapi=0
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Friday, April 2, 2021
~ Happy Birthday today to Deborah Ruggiero and Courtney van Beuren!
- Today – Increasing clouds, with a high near 43. Northwest wind 9 to 13 mph.
- Tonight – Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 30. Northwest wind around 10 mph.
- Today – NW wind 8 to 11 kt becoming W in the afternoon. Increasing clouds. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – NNW wind around 9 kt. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 43°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:25 am | Sunset: 7:12 pm | 12 hours and 47 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 12:27 pm | Low tide at 5:42 am and 5:30 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 20 days, 76% lighting.
Things To Do
- Nothing scheduled
Live Music & Entertainment
- 6 pm to 9 pm – Somethin’ Else at Localz in Tiverton
- 8 pm to 12 am – Ryan McHugh at One Pelham East
- 9 pm to 12 am – Chopville at Newport Blues Cafe
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
- Exhibition On Screen: Easter In Art
- National Theatre Live: War Horse
- Oscar Shorts: Animated
- Oscar Shorts: Live Action
- Oscar Shorts: Documentary
City & Government
- Nothing scheduled
The Latest Headlines on WhatsUpNewp.com
For the very latest news and information, visit www.whatsupnewp.com.
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- Home on Gibbs Avenue in Newport sells for $2.5 million
- La Farge Perry House on Kay Street sells for $2.2 million
- DEM, partners providing 1,000 free trees to Rhode Island residents this spring
- Obituary: Marie (Toppa) Kerr
- 18 famous actors and actresses that have ties to Newport
Become A What’s Up Newp Supporter
At a time when local, independent news is more important than ever, support from our readers is essential. If you are able to, please support us today.
Around The Web
- WJAR – Boots on the Ground for Heroes Memorial returning to in-person event
- Forbes – Socially-Distanced Joyrides Offer A Safer Way To Explore Rhode Island
- General Assembly – Picard bill would have governor, lieutenant governor, run as a ticket
- RI.Gov – RI Arts Council hosts 2 webinars to assist the arts with guidelines for re-opening and 2020 taxes
- URI Today – Commencement 2021: Michigan doctor who uncovered Flint water crisis to give URI commencement address
- URI Today – Commencement 2021: University of Rhode Island announces 4 honorary degree recipients
The Latest: COVID-19 / Vaccine
We’ll See You Out There
The Latest From WUN
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend