>> Governor McKee will visit the COVID-19 vaccination clinic at the former Benny’s in Middletown at 1:30 pm today.
>> The City of Newport’s Department of Utilities’ contractor Hartford Paving will begin construction of necessary Stormwater Infrastructure improvements in the parking stall area of Thames Street from Cotton Court to Mill Street in the vicinity of Queen Anne Square, beginning on Monday, April 5th. The improvements, which consist of replacing multiple catch basins, drain manholes and associated Storm Drain piping, are expected to be complete by May 14th.
During construction, motorists are advised to seek an alternate route, with traffic patterns returning to normal at the end of each work day. Parking in the active construction area will be prohibited. Trash pick-up and mail/package deliveries to this area will not be interrupted and local resident, business and emergency access will be maintained at all times.
>> If you’re still looking for some Easter dining options, try here –Newport County restaurants serving up Easter brunch, dinner on April 4
>> Voting in Rhode Island Month’s Best of Rhode Island has begun. Be sure to vote for your favorite local and statewide business, they could sure use the support and accolades after the year that was! Don’t forget to consider us for Best Local News Blog – Statewide, we’ve had the honor of winning the last three years and would be honored to win again. Vote atwww.rimonthly.com.
>> If you’re currently looking for a job, don’t missNewport Vineyards Job Fairtoday!
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Saturday, April 3 & Sunday, April 4
~ Happy Birthday today to Sabrina Messmer, Jody Vento, and Michael Coffey!
~ Happy Birthday on Sunday to Dan Blakeslee, Gail Alofsin, and Tim Murphy!
- Special Weather Statement
- Today –Sunny, with a high near 48. Northwest wind 9 to 11 mph.
- Tonight –Clear, with a low around 31. Southwest wind 6 to 10 mph becoming northwest in the evening.
- Sunday – Sunny, with a high near 52. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Sunday Night – Mostly clear, with a low around 41. Northwest wind 11 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.
- Today –NNW wind 8 to 10 kt. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight –WSW wind 5 to 9 kt becoming NW in the evening. Clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Sunday – Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming W 5 to 9 kt in the morning. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Sunday Night – NW wind 10 to 13 kt, with gusts as high as 23 kt. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Thecurrent water temperature in Newportis42°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:23 am | Sunset: 7:13 pm | 12 hours and 50 minutesof sun.
- High tide at 12:57 am & 1:27 pm | Low tide at 6:53 am and 6:28 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 21 days, 65% lighting.
- Sunrise: 6:22 am | Sunset: 7:14 pm | 12 hours and 52 minutesof sun.
- High tide at 1:59 am & 2:29 pm | Low tide at 9:02 am and 7:52 pm.
- Moon: Last Quarter Moon, 22 days, 54% lighting.
Things To Do
- 9 am to 12 pm –Newport Aquidneck Growers Marketat Gateway Center
- 11 am –Discover Colonial Newport Walking Tour
- 12 pm to 4 pm –Tiverton Farmers Market Easter Pop-Up Marketat Sandywood Farmers Market
- 1 pm to 4 pm –Newport Vineyards Job Fair
Live Music & Entertainment
- 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm – Timmy Smith at One Pelham East
- 8:30 pm to 12 am – Sugarbabies at One Pelham East
- Nothing scheduled
JPT Film & Event CenterVirtual Screening Room
- Exhibition On Screen: Easter In Art
- National Theatre Live: War Horse
- Oscar Shorts: Animated
- Oscar Shorts: Live Action
- Oscar Shorts: Documentary
City & Government
- Nothing scheduled
The Latest Headlines on WhatsUpNewp.com
For the very latest news and information, visitwww.whatsupnewp.com.
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- DEM, partners providing 1,000 free trees to Rhode Island residents this spring
- ‘Stone Ledge’ on Indian Avenue in Portsmouth sells for $3.223 million
- La Farge Perry House on Kay Street sells for $2.2 million
- Home on Anthony Road in Common Fence Point sells for $1.65 million
- Obituary: Robert J. Holder
The Latest: COVID-19 / Vaccine
We’ll See You Out There
Become A What’s Up Newp Supporter
At a time when local, independent news is more important than ever, support from our readers is essential. If you are able to, pleasesupport ustoday.