Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Good Morning, today is Wednesday, June 29.
🌊 On this day in 1901, Academy award-nominated actor and singer Nelson Eddy was born in Providence. Eddy earned three gold records, has three stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and sang at the third inauguration of President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Read More
🌊 It’s been an interesting first two days of the candidate declaration period. 12 candidates have thrown their names into the race for Congressional District 2, 11 have jumped into the race for Governor, so far 4 are running for Lt. Governor, and there are Republican candidates challenging incumbents Senator Dawn Euer and Louis DiPalma.
Meanwhile, in Newport, just 4 candidates are running for City Council At Large at this point and their will be a challenge in Ward 2.
Candidates have until 4 pm today to declare. Look for a surprise or two in regards to who’s running and who’s not seeking reelection. See the latest list here – Election 2022: Here’s who’s officially running for local, statewide office
🌊 Newport Folk Festival lands at #17 on this Billboard ranking of the Top 50 Festivals of 2022. Despite its amazing lineup this year, Newport Jazz Festival somehow wasn’t ranked.
🌊 Newport is living rent-free in some minds down in Annapolis – > “We are the maritime capital, no matter what Newport [Rhode Island, where the National Sailing Hall of Fame recently relocated] thinks.” Full Story (Chesapeake Bay Magazine)
🌊 Cabana, formerly Salvation Cafe, will open today at 140 Broadway. Offering up “Island-inspired cuisine and cocktails”, the restaurant will be open 7 nights a week, with the kitchen open 5 pm to 10 pm on weekdays and 5 pm to 11 pm on weekends. Reservations are now open on Resy.com.
🌊 Disney+ yesterday released a teaser trailer for the highly-anticipated Hocus Pocus 2, which is due to premiere on September 30 on the streaming platform. Washington Square, Eisenhower Park, and a temporary home that was built on Touro Street can be recognized in a couple of the scenes in the trailer.
What’s Up Today
- Today – Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 78. Light and variable wind becoming south 6 to 11 mph in the morning.
- Tonight – Mostly clear, with a low around 63. Southwest wind 6 to 10 mph.
- Today – Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SSW 5 to 10 kt in the afternoon. Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – SW wind 5 to 9 kt. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 63°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:14 am | Sunset: 8:23 pm | 15 hours & 8 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 8:53 am & 9:07 pm | Low tide at 2:30 am & 1:56 pm.
- Moon: New Moon, 0 days, 0% lighting.
Things To Do
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Golden to Gilded
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 2 pm to 6 pm: Aquidneck Growers Market on Memorial Blvd.
- 4:15 pm – Senior Ballroom Dance Classes at Common Fence Point Community Center
- 5 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cheer Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 6:35 pm: Newport Gulls Home Game at Cardines Field
- 7 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Team Trivia at 7:30 pm
- Fastnet Pub: Trivia at 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Elvis at 4 pm & 4:30 pm
- Landing: Jay Parker at 1 pm, Dave Alves at 4:30 pm, John Erikson at 8 pm.
- One Pelham East: Adam Go from 4 pm to 7:30 pm, Stu Sinclair at 9 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- Little Compton: Little Compton Conservation Commission at 7 pm
- Middletown: Middletown School Building Committee at 5 pm, Middletown Town Council at 6 pm
- Newport: Newport Tree Commission at 6 pm
The Latest from WUN
Publishing more than 20 stories per day and sending out two newsletters per day takes a lot of time, effort, and resources. Our newsletters and stories are free to read (and always will be) but they cost money to produce.
We’re a small boot-strapped news org, and don’t have the luxury of being funded by Wall Street via Japan. So, if you appreciate what we do, please consider supporting us with a monthly contribution. It means a ton to us and stays right here, funding reporting in this community. Thank you.
- Cision – Gilbane Building Company breaks ground on new Newport High School
- WPRI – Who will be RI Senate’s new No. 2? Pearson, Euer, Miller all in the mix
- General Assembly – Rep. Amore and Sen. Euer’s legislation that protects victims of domestic abuse signed into law
- RIDOH – RIDOH Recommends Closing Conimicut Beach, Oakland Beach, and Barrington Town Beach for Swimming
We’ll See You Out There
Beavertail Light House – Jamestown – Sunset at Beavertail Lighthouse, Jamestown, RI. – a wide angle panoramic view A fine art photograph by Alexander Nesbitt. Available printed by the artist in a variety of styles. See More Here