Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Good Morning, today is Wednesday, July 6
🌊 Another Rhode Island summer tradition, the Wickford Art Festival returns to full strength this weekend. WUN’s Ken Abrams recently caught up with Festival Director Brian O’Malley. Read The Interview
🌊 WUN’s Frank Prosnitz with our Election 2022, our regular column that wraps up some of the top political stories of the moment – Election 2022: GOP endorses slate, candidates won’t discuss Trump, Congressional candidates differ on Roe v. Wade, next deadline for candidates
🌊 WUN’s Tyler Bernadyn with a look at the 48 homes that sold in Newport County last week. What Sold
🌊 WUN’s Ryan Belmore has got a full roundup of all that’s happening, new, and to do out there this weekend and weekend – What’s Up this week in Newport: July 5 – 10
🌊 Governor McKee yesterday signed an executive order protecting access to reproductive health care in Rhode Island, “ensuring that individuals who come to Rhode Island seeking reproductive health services will be safeguarded from legal liability in other states”. Read More
🌊 Andy Murray, a two-time Wimbledon champion, US Open champion and former world No. 1, is set to compete as a wild card at the 2022 Infosys Hall of Fame Open in Newport. Read More
What’s Up Today
- Today – A slight chance of showers before 7am. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 83. Southwest wind 9 to 11 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Tonight – Partly cloudy, with a low around 65. Northeast wind around 6 mph becoming east after midnight.
- Today – WSW wind 8 to 10 kt becoming NW in the afternoon. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – Variable winds 5 kt or less. Partly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 68°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:18 am | Sunset: 8:21 pm | 15 hours & 3 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 1:08 am & 1:47 pm | Low tide at 6:40 am & 7:20 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 6.3 days, 39% lighting.
Things To Do
- 9 am: Tree Walk: Neighborhood Stroll (Friends Cemetery & Point Neighborhood)
- 10 am to 2 pm: Historic Saint Mary’s Church now Welcoming Visitors Daily
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 11 am to 8 pm: Comet for Potter Paws! at Newport Vineyards/Taproot Brewing
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Golden to Gilded
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 2 pm to 6 pm: Aquidneck Growers Market on Memorial Blvd.
- 4:15 pm: Senior Ballroom Dance Classes at Common Fence Point Community Center
- 6 pm: AFTER5 Cleanup at Surfers End
- 6 pm: Kiwanis Social at Newport GULLS Game!
- 6:35 pm: Newport Gulls Home Game at Cardines Field
- 7 pm: Family Friendly Funnies with the Bit Players at The Firehouse Theatre
- 7 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 8 pm: Black Oak Ensemble: Silenced Voices, presented by Newport Classical at The Breakers
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Team Trivia at 7:30 pm
- Fastnet Pub: Trivia at 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Elvis at 4 pm & 7:30 pm
- Landing: Jimmy Weinstock at 1 pm, Mark Flynn at 4:30 pm, Jim Devlin at 8 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: EDM Night at 8 pm
- Newport Classical: Black Oak Ensemble: Silenced Voices, presented by Newport Classical at The Breakers at 8 pm
- Newport vineyards: Blue Light Bandits Duo from 5 pm to 8 pm
- One Pelham East: Adam Go from 4 pm to 7:30 pm
- Perro Salado: The Z-Boys from 9 pm to 12 am
- The Firehouse Theatre: Family Friendly Funnies with the Bit Players at 7 pm
- Top Of Pelham: Dueling Pianos: Free Wednesday show with Davina Yanetty & Mike Brown at 7:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- Jamestown: Jamestown Planning Commission at 7 pm
- Little Compton: Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust at 7 pm
- Middletown: Middletown Board of Canvassers at 9 am
- Newport: Newport Beach Commission at 5 pm
- Portsmouth: Portsmouth Harbor Commission at 7 pm, Portsmouth Melville Park Committee at 7 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Recreation Commission at 3:15 pm, Tiverton Personnel Board at 5:30 pm, Tiverton Zoning Board of Review at 7 pm
The Latest from WUN
Rhode Island Monthly – Experience Gilded Age-Level Dining with Stoneacre Picnics