Good Morning, today is Sunday, July 3.
🌊 On this day in 1878, George M. Cohen was born in Rhode Island. Cohan was a playwright, composer, lyricist, actor, singer, dancer, and producer during his 50+ year career in entertainment. Read More
🌊 On this day in 1969, the Newport Jazz Festival experimented with rock music for the first time with performances by Led Zeppelin, Blood, Sweat, & Tears, Jethro Tull, Jeff Beck, and more.
Excess crowds estimated at twenty thousand who had been unable to obtain tickets filled an adjacent hillside, and the weekend was marred by disturbances including fence crashing and crowd surging during the most popular performances. Read More
🌊 WUN’s Rick Farrell was on hand at Mohegan Sun for New Kids on the Block on Friday night. Concert Photos
🌊 WUN’s Ken Abrams caught James Taylor at The Dunk on Friday night. Concert Review and Photos
🌊 Nearly 20 percent of the candidates who filed to run for the state House of Representatives last week are running unopposed, according to the Secretary of State’s Office, with all but one a Democrat. WUN’s Frank Prosnitz with more – Nearly 20 percent of RI House candidates running unopposed
🌊 You have two chances to hear the Declaration of Independence be read in Newport on Monday, both long traditions;
At 11 am, Colonel Roy Lauth of the Rhode Island Society Sons of the Revolution will read from the steps of the Colony House, where a 19-year-old Newport native, John Handy, first read the Declaration to the Colony on July 22, 1776.
At 3:30 pm, join Clarke Cooke House outside on Bannisters Wharf for their 40+ annual reading of the Declaration of Independence and Independence Day Sing-Along.
🌊 Jamestown, Bristol, Warwick, North Providence, and East Providence have fireworks planned for tonight. Schedule.
What’s Up Today
- Today – Patchy fog before 7am. Otherwise, cloudy, then gradual clearing during the afternoon, with a high near 80. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
- Tonight – Clear, with a low around 65. West wind around 7 mph becoming north after midnight.
- Today – Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SW 5 to 9 kt in the morning. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – WSW wind around 6 kt becoming N after midnight. Clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 63°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:16 am | Sunset: 8:22 pm | 15 hours & 6 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 11:32 am & 11:37 pm | Low tide at 4:52 am & 4:46 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 3.5 days, 13% lighting.
Things To Do
- 9:30 am: Celebration of Freedoms at Emmanuel Church
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Golden to Gilded at Museum of Newport History and Shop
- 12 pm to 4 pm: Ketel One Botanicals Spritz Bar at Hotel Viking
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 1 pm to 6 pm: Bubbles & Blues at The Chanler at Cliff Walk
- 3 pm to 4 pm: Concert for Independence Day at Queen Anne Square
- 5 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cheer Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 7 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 7:30 pm: Jamestown Fireworks & Concert Independence Day Celebration
- 8 pm: Newport Classical: Junction Trio at The Breakers
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- @ The Deck: Brian Scott at 7 pm
- Clarke Cooke House: Bobby Ferreira at 12:30 pm, Steve Cerelli at 10 pm
- Dockside: Felix Brown and Those Guys at 10 pm
- Fastnet Irish Pub: Irish Sessions from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Fifth Element: Lois Vaughan Jazz Trio from 11 am to 3 pm
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille: Alexus Leee & Kevin Scollins from 12 pm to 3 pm
- Gurney’s: The Honky Tonk Knights featuring Chelsea A from 6 pm to 9 pm at The Pineapple Club
- Irish American Club: Karaoke at 9 pm
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Live music from 3 pm to 7 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Elvis at 1 pm & 4:30 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 11 am to 2 pm
- Landing: Live music at 1 pm, Jim Devlin at 4:30 pm, Jake Kulak Band at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Mike Crandall Band from 4 pm to 7 pm
- Newport Classical: Junction Trio at The Breakers at 8 pm
- O’Brien’s Pub: George Zecher on Steel Drums from 3 pm to 6 pm, Bingo inside at 7 pm
- One Pelham East: Live music at 5 pm
- Pour Judgement: Los Duderinos at 10 pm
- The Breakers: Newport Classical: Junction Trio at 8 pm
- The Chanler at Cliff Walk: Skyline Jazz Duo in the Wine Garden from 2 pm to 5 pm
- The Firehouse Theater: Chase Ceglie Jazz Quartet at 5 pm
- The Reef: Brian Scott Duo from 1 pm to 4 pm, Lucas Neil from 6 pm to 9 pm
City & Government
- No meetings are scheduled.