Good Morning, today is Tuesday, July 12.
🌊 WUN’s Ken Abrams caught up with Judy Collins before her two shows at The JPT in August. The iconic singer-songwriter talks about the Newport Folk Festival, her legacy and her new album “Spellbound”.
🌊 15 homes across Newport County changed hands last week. WUN’s Tyler Bernadyn with a look at what sold.
🌊 Hamilton Family Charitable Trust has contributed $1.5 million to Save The Bay’s efforts to relocate its small aquarium on Easton’s Beach to a larger location at downtown Newport’s Gateway Center.
🌊 It’s the Tournament Early Rounds and USTA Member Day at the Infosys Hall of Fame Open today at the International Tennis Hall of Fame. Gates open at 10 am and tournament play begins at 11 am. Today is scheduled to include 6 singles matches and 3 double matches. Tickets & More Info
🌊 The Fifth Element adds more live music to their schedule, hosting Randy Robbins from 7 pm to 10 pm this evening.
What’s Up Today
- Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. South wind 9 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph.
- Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before midnight. Patchy fog after 1 am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. Southwest wind 6 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. The chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Tomorrow: Patchy fog before 9 am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 83. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
- Tomorrow Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 67. Southwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm after midnight.
- Today: SSW wind 8 to 11 kt increasing to 13 to 16 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 28 kt. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: SW wind 10 to 13 kt decreasing to 5 to 8 kt after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 27 kt. A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before midnight. Patchy fog after 1 am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 68°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:22 am | Sunset: 8:19 pm | 14 hours & 56 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 7:04 am & 7:32 pm | Low tide at 12:46 am & 12:22 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 12.7 days, 95% lighting.
Things To Do
- 10 am: Infosys Hall Of Fame Open – Tournament Early Rounds USTA Member Day at the International Tennis Hall Of Fame
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Discover Colonial Newport
- 2:30 pm: So Percussion presented by Newport Classical at Great Friends Meeting House
- 6 pm: Family Night Concert at Easton’s Beach featuring Country Wild Band
- 6 pm: So Percussion presented by Newport Classical at Great Friends Meeting House
- 7 pm: “Moonrise Kingdom” Film Screening at Jamestown Arts Center
- 7:15 pm: Reggae Night on the Coastal Queen
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Music Bingo at 7:30 pm
- Easton’s Beach: Country Wild Band at 6 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Elvis at 4 pm, Big Wave Guardians: Summer Adventure Series at 7:30 pm
- Landing: Mike Milazzo at 1 pm, Adam Hanna at 4:30 pm, Jim Devlin at 8 pm
- Newport Classical: Sō Percussion (2:30 & 6:00 PM) at Great Friends Meeting House
- One Pelham East: Stu Sinclair at 9 pm
- The Fifth Element: Randy Robbins from 7 pm to 10 pm
City & Government
- Jamestown: Jamestown Library Board at 5 pm
- Little Compton: Little Compton Town Council at 4 pm, Little Compton Beach Commission at 7 pm
- Portsmouth: Stone Bridge Fire District at 7 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton School Building Committee at 4:30 pm, Tiverton Planning Board at 6:30 pm, North Tiverton Fire District at 7 pm, Tiverton School Committee at 7 pm
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Let the community know about your event, announcement, or other news. Submit posts here.
We’ll See You Out There
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.