Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
Good Morning, today is Friday, August 5.
🌊 WUN’s Frank Prosnitz with the latest from the 2022 Election trail – Election 2022: Treasurer’s race: Diossa racks up endorsements, while Pryor has big fundraising quarter
🌊 Another in a series of outstanding concerts is coming to Roger Williams Park in Providence on Sunday, August 14 at 6 PM when FirstWorks Summer Beats presents William Cepeda’s Afro-Rican Jazz. WUN’s Ken Abrams caught up with Cepeda – What’s Up Interview: William Cepeda Afro-Rican Jazz Band playing free concert in Providence Sunday, Aug. 14
🌊 Ken also has a look at what’s up for events across the state this weekend – Six Picks Events: What to do in RI this weekend (August 5-7)
🌊 Here’s a look at all that’s happening, new, and to do this weekend – What’s Up in Newport County this weekend: August 5 – 7
🌊 Another in a series of world-class concerts is coming to the Norman Bird Sanctuary on Friday, August 5 when Americana singer-songwriter Lisa Morales makes a stop in Newport. Ken recently caught up with Morales, read that interview here.
🌊 The Miantonomi Park Memorial Tower will be open for free tours this month. Read More on WUN
🌊 Retired Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC) Division Newport Deputy Technical Director Don Aker has earned the Department of the Navy Superior Civilian Service Award, the second highest honorary civilian award bestowed by the U.S. Navy [NavSea].
~ Ryan Belmore
Support local, independent journalism – Consider supporting us with a one-time, monthly, or annual contribution. What’sUpNewp relies on reader support so we can continue to provide you with reliable, independent reporting for our Newport County and Rhode Island communities. Learn More
Advertise to Readership of 140,000 – Promote your business to our 140,000 monthly readers and 26,000 email subscribers. Includes reporting on impressions, clicks, and cities of our readers. Huge reach on and off the island. Get pricing.
What’s Up Today
- Heat Advisory until August 5, 08:00 PM EDT
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today: A slight chance of showers after 9 am. Patchy fog before 9 am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. Southwest wind 5 to 11 mph. The chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Tonight: A chance of showers, mainly after 10 pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 73. Southwest wind 5 to 7 mph. The chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Today: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SSW 5 to 10 kt in the morning. A slight chance of showers after 9 am. Patchy fog before 9 am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: SW wind around 6 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt. A chance of showers, mainly after 10 pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 73°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:44 am | Sunset: 7:58 pm | 14 hours & 14 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 1:34 am & 2:08 pm | Low tide at 6:49 am & 7:59 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 6.9 days, 45% lighting.
Things To Do
- 10 am: Summer Stories at Whitehorne House Museum
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Rogues and Scoundrels
- 12 pm to 4 pm: Ketel One Botanicals Spritz Bar at Hotel Viking
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 5 pm to 7 pm: Waterfront Concert Series at King Park
- 6 pm: 14th Annual “A Night at the Pops” Concert with the East Bay Summer Wind and Youth Ensembles at Portsmouth High School
- 6 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport6:30 pm: TGIF Performance with the Rhode Island Black Storytellers at Doris Duke’s Rough Point
- 7 pm: Newport Live and Norman Bird Sanctuary Present: Lisa Morales
- 8 pm: Improv with the Bit Players at The Firehouse Theater
- 8 pm: COMEDY NIGHT AT REJECT at Rejects Brewing Co.
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- @ The Deck: The Complaints at 9 pm
- Bar & Board: Lois Vaughan Jazz Trio from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm
- Blue Anchor Grill: Live music at 6:30 pm
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10 pm
- Dockside: Live music at 9 pm
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille: The Naticks from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Gurney’s: DJ from 5 pm to 10 pm on The Firepit Deck
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Live music from 6 pm to 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Reversal of Fortune at 4:30 pm, Safety Last with Jeff Rapsis at 7:30 pm
- King Park: Art Pop & Jazz with Chase Ceglie, opening guitarist Julio Amaro from 5 pm to 7 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Landing: John Erikson at 1 pm, CBD at 4:30 pm, Straight Outta Rehab at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Steve Smith & The Nakeds from 8 pm to 11:30 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Never In Vegas at 9 pm
- O’Brien’s Pub: John Erikson at 4:30 pm, DJ Remedy (video DJ) from 10 pm to close
- Officers Club: Salty from 5:30 pm to 8 pm
- One Pelham East: Live music from 4 pm to 7:30 pm, live music at 8:30 pm, DJ at 11 pm
- Rejects Brewing Co.: COMEDY NIGHT AT REJECT at 8 pm
- Speakeasy: Live music at 10 pm
- Surf Club: Justin Pomfret at 9 pm
- The Firehouse Theatre: Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at 8 pm
- The Reef: Brian Scott Duo from 2 pm to 5 pm, Mel from 7 pm to 10 pm
- Top Of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- Little Compton: Little Compton Board of Canvassers at 9 am
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.