Good Morning, today is Thursday, August 4.
🌊 Mark Aramli is one of seven candidates running for Newport City Council At-Large. Aramli shared with us why he’s running for office. Read More
🌊 I had the chance to meet Bumbles, a 1-year-old male Mixed Breed, at the Potter League for Animals last week, he’s a great pup. Read more about him here – Adoptable Dog of the Week: Bumbles
🌊 newportFILM will host a screening of The Princess at The Elms this evening.
🌊 Speaking of film, JPT is showing Top Gun: Maverick and National Theater Live: Prima Facie from The Harold Pinter Theatre in London today. Read More
🌊 The suspects in the February 14 Newport shooting that killed one man and wounded another are facing new charges, WPRI reports.
Have a great Thursday,
What’s Up Today
- Heat Advisory in effect from August 4, 11:00 AM EDT until August 5, 08:00 PM EDT
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Today: Sunny, with a high near 84. South wind 5 to 14 mph.
- Tonight: Patchy fog after 9 pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low of around 73. Southwest wind 6 to 9 mph.
- Tomorrow: A slight chance of showers after 11 am. Patchy fog before 9 am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 86. Southwest wind 6 to 11 mph. The chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Tomorrow Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly between 1 am and 5 am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72. Southwest wind 6 to 8 mph. The chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Today: SSW wind 5 to 8 kt increasing to 9 to 12 kt in the afternoon. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: SSW wind 5 to 8 kt. Patchy fog after 9pm. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 70°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:43 am | Sunset: 7:59 pm | 14 hours & 16 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 12:42 am & 1:16 pm | Low tide at 5:59 am & 6:47 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 5.9 days, 34% lighting.
Things To Do
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Discover Colonial Newport
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 11 am: Colonial Jewish Walking Tours
- 1 pm: Newport History Site Tours: Seventh Day Baptist Meeting House
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 6 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 7 pm to 10 pm: Ketel Cafe at Hill Market at Hotel Viking
- 7:30 pm: National Theatre Live: Prima Facie from the Harold Pinter Theatre in London
- 8:10 pm: The Princess: newportFILM Outdoors at The Elms
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- JPT Film & Event Center: Top Gun: Maverick at 4:30 pm, National Theatre Live: Prima Facie from the Harold Pinter Theatre in London at 7:30 pm
- Landing: Jay Parker at 1 pm, Mark Flynn at 4:30 pm, Timmy Smith at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Roger Ceresi Trio from 8 pm to 11 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Felix Brown Band at 8 pm
- newportFILM: The Princess: newportFILM Outdoors at 8:10 pm
- One Pelham East: Live music at 8 pm
- Perro Salado: Steve Cerelli at 9 pm
- Ragged Island Brewing: Trivia in the Barn at 6 pm
- The Reef: Lucas Neil from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Top of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- Jamestown: Jamestown Fire Department at 7 pm
- Middletown: Middletown Planning Board at 3 pm, Middletown Roads/Utilities Advisory Committee at 4 pm
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.