Subscribe to our newsletter
>>Colleen Burns Jermain, Superintendent of Newport Public Schools, will join me for a live virtual video conversation at 1:30 pm today. We’ll chat about the schools, the new changes, expanding the number of students in school on a daily basis, and more. Watch live on whatsupnewp.com at 1:30 pm.
>> 7,600 additional COVID-19 vaccination appointments will be posted on www.vaccinateRI.org this morning at 9 am. These appointments will be for the Dunkin’ Donuts Center, the State-run mass vaccination sites in Woonsocket, South County, and at Sockanosset Cross Road, and at the regional clinics in Johnston, Westerly, and East Providence. In addition to the age groups previously eligible, people who are 40 to 49 years of age are now eligible to register. Full Story
>> Looking for a new gig, job, or career? There are more than 110 businesses hiring right now in the Newport area. See this week’s job opportunities.
>> Our content is free and always will be, but we rely on your support to keep it that way. Our locally owned, independent newsroom runs on advertising from locally-owned, independent businesses and reader support. If you value our coverage, join us as a What’s Up Newp Supporter today. Any amount helps, and just $5/month means more than you’d think.
What’s Up in Newport County Today
Tuesday, April 13
~ Happy Birthday today to Autumn Hoffman, Bobby Shorr, Chris Dipaola, Hannah Lasorsa, Matt Smith, and Craig Pruitt!
- Today – Mostly cloudy, with a high near 55. North wind 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
- Tonight – Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.
- Today – NNE wind 9 to 12 kt, with gusts as high as 22 kt. Mostly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight -Variable winds 5 kt or less. Mostly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- The current water temperature in Newport is 46°F
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 6:07 am | Sunset: 7:24 pm | 13 hours and 14 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 9:33 am & 9:46 pm | Low tide at 2:57 am & 2:46 pm
- Moon: Waxing Crescent, 1 days, 1% lighting.
Things To Do
- Newport Restaurant Week begins
- Newport Daffodil Days
- 8 am – Community Yoga Class at MLK Center
- 2 pm to 5:30 pm – Tiverton Farmers Market – Winter at Sandywoods
- 6 pm – Let’s Talk Non-Profits: Local Leaders & their Supporters
JPT Film & Event Center Virtual Screening Room
City & Government
- 10 am – Newport Board of Tax Appeals
- 5 pm – Newport School Committee
- 6:30 pm – Newport Waterfront Commission
- 10 am – Tiverton Prevention Coalition
- 6 pm – Tiverton School Committee
- 6:30 pm – Tiverton Planning Board
- 6:30 pm – Tiverton Recreation Commission
- 6:15 pm – Portsmouth School Committee
The Latest Headlines on WhatsUpNewp.com
Recent Local Obituaries
Popular Stories Right Now
- Middletown beach parking passes will go on sale on April 12
- Now Hiring: 110+ businesses hiring right now in the Newport area
- List: States with travel restrictions upon entry to Rhode Island
- Tiny Kitchen Magic: BBQ Pulled Pork with Maple Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- Obituary: Nicholas S. Logothets Jr.
The Latest: COVID-19 / Vaccine
New data hasn’t been reported since Friday, April 9. We’ve reached out to the Rhode Island Department of Health for an update.
Around The Web
Lonely Planet – The 6 best beaches in Rhode Island
East Bay RI – Homebound Prudence Island residents get vaccinated
We’ll See You Out There
The Latest From WUN
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Minks rock Askew (October 21, 2021)
- New behavioral health pharmacy in EBCAP to serve those with mental health and addiction issues
- Newport Art Museum to present “Newport: The City as a Work of Art” lecture series with John R. Tschirch
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Sarah Potenza, Elvis Costello and more
- Obituary: Julian C. Clinton