Your local, independent source for What’s Up in Newport and Rhode Island. Est. 2012
Good Morning, today is Tuesday, August 9.
🌊 On this day in 1918, Award-winning Director, Producer, and Screenwriter Robert Aldrich was born in Cranston. Aldrich is best known for his films including Vera Cruz, The Dirty Dozen, and The Longest Yard. Read More
🌊 There is a lot of interesting and fun stuff on tap for tonight, including a live performance on the Coastal Queen, author Christian McBurney at Charter Books, The Jacalyn & William P. Egan Fellows Lecture at Rosecliff, and the Down City Band at Easton’s Beach. Get the full rundown for this week and weekend here.
🌊 WUN’s Tyler Bernadyn with a look at the 16 Newport County real estate sales, transactions that took place last week.
🌊 Are you ready for an absolute hunk of a dog? Meet Ollie! He’s a wonderful guy who’s just missing a family. Meet Ollie – Adoptable Dog of the Week: Ollie
🌊 In Portsmouth, the late John ‘Bobby’ Arruda has been honored with a bench. [East Bay RI]
🌊 Decades of implicit and explicit discriminatory housing policies leave Black people in Rhode Island three times more likely than white people to live in neglected and unsafe housing. ecoRI reports – Mind the Gap: R.I.’s Affordable Housing Stock Fails to Meet Need
🌊 Governor McKee will join the Rhode Island Airport Corporation (RIAC), airline representatives, and local and state officials this morning at Rhode Island T.F. Green International Airport for “an important commercial air service announcement that will create new jobs and new routes to benefit the Rhode Island economy”.
Have a great Tuesday,
~ Ryan Belmore
Support local, independent journalism – Consider supporting us with a one-time, monthly, or annual contribution. What’sUpNewp relies on reader support so we can continue to provide you with reliable, independent reporting for our Newport County and Rhode Island communities. Learn More
Advertise to Readership of 140,000 – Promote your business to our 140,000 monthly readers and 26,000 email subscribers. Includes reporting on impressions, clicks, and cities of our readers. Huge reach on and off the island. Get pricing.
What’s Up Today
- Heat Advisory
- Hazardous Weather Outlook
- Rip Current Statement
- Today: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 83. Southwest wind 11 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. The chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms likely before 2am, then a slight chance of showers. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Patchy fog between 11 pm and 1 am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north after midnight. The chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
- Today: SW wind 10 to 12 kt, with gusts as high as 25 kt. A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming NNE 5 to 9 kt after midnight. Showers and thunderstorms likely before 2am, then a slight chance of showers. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Patchy fog between 11pm and 1am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 72°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:48 am | Sunset: 7:53 pm | 14 hours & 5 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 5:49 am & 6:23 pm | Low tide at 11:14 am.
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 11.2 days, 86% lighting.
Things To Do
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Discover Colonial Newport
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 6 pm: Family Night Concert Series featuring Down City Band at Easton’s Beach
- 6 pm: The Preservation Society of Newport County presents The Jacalyn & William P. Egan Fellows Lecture at Rosecliff or Zoom
- 6 pm: Christian McBurney Dark Voyage at Charter Books
- 6:15 pm: Live Performance by the Stone Cold Gypsies on the Coastal Queen
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Music Bingo at 7:30 pm
- Easton’s Beach: Down City Band at 6 pm
- Fifth Element: Randy Robbins from 7 pm to 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Marcel The Shell With Shoes On at 4:30 pm, Five Summer Stores: Summer Adventure Series at 7:30 pm
- Landing: Mike Milazzo at 1 pm, Adam Hanna at 4:30 pm, and Jim Devlin at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Trivia from 7 pm to 9 pm
- One Pelham East: Stu Sinclair at 9 pm
- St. John’s Church: Music on the Lawn: Mike Warner & the Ubiquitones, with Ben Knight at 6 pm
City & Government
- Jamestown: Jamestown Library Board at 6 pm
- Little Compton: Little Compton Free Public Library Trust at 3 pm, Little Compton Wilbour Woods Stakeholders Committee at 4:30 pm, Little Compton Beach Commission at 7 pm
- Middletown: Middletown Tree Commission at 3 pm, Middletown Beach Commission at 4:30 pm, Middletown Conservation Commission at 5:30 pm
- Newport: Newport School Committee at 6:30 pm
- Portsmouth: Portsmouth School Committee at 7 pm, Portsmouth Town Council at 7 pm
- Tiverton: North Tiverton Fire District at 7 pm, Tiverton Town Council at 7 pm
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.