Good Morning, today is Tuesday, August 16.
🌊 Interesting in learning more about the Pell Bridge ramps project? Rhode Island Department of Transportation will offer a tour of the ongoing reconstruction of the Newport Pell Bridge approaches today at 1 pm. What’sUpNewp
🌊 The City of Newport announced yesterday that it has concluded the investigation of a previously announced security incident. The City is offering complimentary credit monitoring and identity protection services to individuals whose information Social Security number or driver’s license was involved. What’sUpNewp
🌊 What’s Up Newp is hosting two fun events this week at The JPT – On Wednesday, join us for a screening of Point Break and live music from We Own Land.
On Thursday, it’s all about the craft beer. Join us for a screening of Strange Brew and samplings from Rejects Beer Co., Ragged Island Brewing Company, and Narragansett Beer.
🌊 For the first time, the annual Doris Duke Historic Preservation Awards recognizes a record of five projects for their significant contributions to the preservation of Newport’s architectural heritage and historic character. What’sUpNewp
🌊 Traffic was at a standstill on the Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge on Monday morning, where a boat disconnected from a trailer. WJAR
What’sUpNewp relies on reader support so we can continue to provide you with reliable, independent reporting for our Newport County and Rhode Island communities. Consider supporting us with a one-time, monthly, or annual contribution. Support What’sUpNewp
What’s Up Today
- Today: Partly sunny, with a high near 76. Northeast wind 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.
- Tonight: A chance of showers, mainly after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. Northeast wind around 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Today: NE wind 9 to 12 kt, with gusts as high as 20 kt. Partly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: NNE wind 9 to 11 kt. A slight chance of showers between 2am and 3am. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 70°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:55 am | Sunset: 7:43 pm | 13 hours & 48 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 11:59 am | Low tide at 4:55 am & 5:36 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 19 days, 81% lighting.
Things To Do
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Discover Colonial Newport
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 6:15 pm: Wine & Cheese Tasting Cruise with Grapes & Gourmet
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Music Bingo at 7:30 pm
- Fifth Element: Randy Robbins from 7 pm to 9 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song at 4:30 pm & 7:30 pm
- Landing: Mike Milazzo at 1 pm, Adam Hanna at 4:30 pm, and John Erikson at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Trivia from 7 pm to 9 pm
- One Pelham East: Stu Sinclair at 9 pm
- St. John the Evangelist Church: Music on the Lawn: Duke Robillard Quintet from 6 pm to 8:30 pm
City & Government
- Jamestown: Jamestown Technical Review Committee at 10 am
- Middletown: Middletown Personnel Board at 2 pm, Middletown Juvenile Hearing Board at 5:45 pm, Middletown Library Board of Trustees at 6 pm
- Newport: Newport Historic District Commission at 6:30 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Dog Park Advisory Committee at 6:30 pm
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.