Good Morning, today is Tuesday, June 28.
🌊 On this day in 1969 – The Claiborne Pell Bridge opens to the public.
🌊 Let the games begin. Yesterday was the first day for candidates to declare for office in the 2022 primary and general elections. There were a few surprises, and candidates still have today and tomorrow to declare.
Find out who’s already thrown their name in the ring for state office, city council, town council, and school committee here – Election 2022: Politicians begin to declare candidacies
🌊 The Newport Restoration Foundation invites you to Rough Point Museum to kick off the summer with for two special events this week, Garden Fête on Thursday and TGIF Performance with Yoruba 2 on Friday. Read More
🌊 A total of $2.7 million has now been raised for the Newport Historic Spring project and the leaders hope to raise the final funding by September 2022 to break ground and begin construction. Read More
🌊 Jamestown resident Ben Tuff has swum around Conanicut Island and from Block Island to Jamestown to raise funds for Clean Ocean Access. In July, he’ll swim from Providence to Newport to again raise funds. Read More
🌊 The City of Newport’s Cliff Walk Commission will give an update on the status of the Cliff Walk Slope Repair between Narragansett Ave. and Webster Street when it meets today at 4:30 pm.
🌊 Tyler Bernadyn with a look at the 19 homes that sold last week in Newport County.
🌊 Gerry Goldstein’s latest column is here – No word of lie, a fascinating holiday’s ahead
🌊 A Middletown & Newport Public Schools Regionalization Survey is here (note the survey closes on Thursday).
What’s Up Today
- Today – Sunny, with a high near 76. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
- Tonight – Mostly clear, with a low around 59. Southwest wind 5 to 9 mph becoming calm in the evening.
- Today – Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SW 5 to 10 kt in the morning. Sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight – WSW wind around 6 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt in the evening. Mostly clear. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 63°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:13 am | Sunset: 8:23 pm | 15 hours & 9 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 8:14 am & 8:31 pm | Low tide at 1:50 am & 1:11 pm.
- Moon: Waning Crescent 28.6 days, 1% lighting.
Things To Do
- 8 am to 5 pm: Newport History Walking Tours: Discover Colonial Newport
- 9 am: Dogwood Pruning Workshop at Touro Park
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 5 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cheer Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 7:15 pm: Sharks Come Cruisin on the Coastal Queen Evening Cruise
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Music Bingo at 7:30 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Elvis at 4 pm & 4:30 pm
- Landing: Dan Decristofaro at 1 pm, Adam Hanna at 4:30 pm, Jim Devlin at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Trivia from 7 pm to 9 pm
- One Pelham East: Stu Sinclair from 5 pm to 8:30 pm
City & Government
- Discover Newport: Newport and Bristol County Convention and Visitor’s Bureau dba Discover Newport at 9 am
- Jamestown: Jamestown Zoning Board of Review at 7 pm
- Little Compton: Little Compton Board of Canvassers at 9 am, Little Compton Beach Commission at 7 pm
- Middletown: Middletown Zoning Board of Review at 6 pm
- Newport: Newport Cliff Walk Commission at 4:30 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Solar Ordinance Advisory Committee at 6:30 pm, Tiverton School Committee at 7 pm
The Latest from WUN
- ABC 6 – Newport set to give update on crumbled section of Cliff Walk
- ecoRI – Relentless Devouring of Green Space Gobbles Up Living World
- General Assembly – 2023 budget bill signed into law
- RI.Gov – Governor McKee Signs Historic FY 2023 State Budget to Maintain Rhode Island’s Economic Momentum
- URI Today – URI-connected guitar trio The Great Necks lands on Billboard chart with new album + Kingston Chamber Music Festival presents rising stars Dover Quartet, Hilda Huang, and Curtis-on-Tour
- WJAR – Violent exchange in Newport captured on camera
We’ll See You Out There
Goat Island Light House in Black & White – a Fine Art Photograph by Alexander Nesbitt Photography. The Goat Island Light shines through the mist near the Newport Bridge in a classic New England harbor scene.
This photo is available by the artist in a variety of styles and sizes. Click here or stop by Blink Gallery at 89 Thames Street.