Good Morning, today is Wednesday, July 20.
🌊 President Joe Biden will announce new actions on climate change during a visit today to a former coal-fired power plant in Somerset, Massachusetts, that is shifting to offshore wind manufacturing.
🌊 WUN’s Frank Prosnitz with the latest on Election 2022: Election 2022: Gorbea urges McKee to back abortion legislation, McKee to be endorsed by healthcare union, Magaziner
🌊 Heading to Newport Folk Festival this weekend? WUN’s Ken Abrams has some not to be missed sets – ‘Six Picks’ Newport Folk: ‘Not to be missed’ sets at this weekend’s Newport Folk Festival
🌊 A Swansea boy was taken to the hospital Tuesday after he was saved by lifeguards while swimming at Easton’s Beach, WPRI reports.
🌊 Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Tony Award-Winning Cinderella opens at Theatre By The Sea today.
🌊 The Newport City Council and School Committee will be meeting jointly with their counterparts from Middletown to discuss School Regionalization today at 6 pm at Innovate Newport. To learn more, visit www.middletown-newport.us
What’s Up Today
- Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Light southwest wind increasing to 6 to 11 mph in the morning.
- Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 72. Southwest wind 6 to 9 mph.
- Tomorrow: Partly sunny, with a high near 82. South wind 11 to 15 mph.
- Tomorrow Night: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 10 pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 72. Southwest wind 6 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. The chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Today: Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SSW 5 to 10 kt in the morning. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: SSW wind 5 to 8 kt. Partly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 69°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:29 am | Sunset: 8:13 pm | 14 hours & 44 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 1:43 am & 2:17 pm | Low tide at 7:08 am & 9:03 pm.
- Moon: Waning Gibbous, 21.5 days, 56% lighting.
Things To Do
- 10 am to 2 pm: Arboreta Open Hours
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Golden to Gilded
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises
- 2 pm to 6 pm: Aquidneck Growers Market on Memorial Blvd.
- 4:15 pm: Senior Ballroom Dance Classes at Common Fence Point Community Center
- 5 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cheer Cruises
- 6 pm to 8 pm: Music at Sunset Concert Series featuring Colby James & The Ramblers at Blithewold
- 6:35 pm: Newport Gulls Home Game at Cardines Field
- 7 pm to 9 pm: Newport Dance Festival at Great Friends Meeting House
- 7 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises
- 8 pm: Jay Leno at The Firehouse Theater
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Celtica: Team Trivia at 7:30 pm
- Fastnet Pub: Trivia at 9 pm
- Fort Adams: Music At The Fort featuring Rhode Island Youth Stage Band from 6 pm to 8 pm
- JPT Film & Event Center: Elvis at 4 pm, The Anonymous Club at 7:30 pm
- Landing: Jimmy Weinstock at 1 pm, The Naticks at 4:30 pm, Jim Devlin at 8 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Never In Vegas at 9 pm
- Newport Vineyards: Lainey Dionne from 5 pm to 8 pm
- O’Brien’s Pub: Eoin Egan live on the patio from 5 pm to 7 pm
- One Pelham East: Adam Go from 4 pm to 7:30 pm
- Perro Salado: The Z-Boys from 9 pm to 12 am
- Ragged Island Brewing: Live music from 4 pm to 7 pm
- The Firehouse Theater: Jay Leno at 8 pm
- Top Of Pelham: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
- Vieste Simply Italian: Live music at 7:30 pm
City & Government
- Little Compton: Little Compton Board of Canvassers at 9 am, Little Compton School Committee at 7 pm, Little Compton Zoning Board of Review at 7 pm
- Middletown: Middletown Open Space and Fields Committee at 5:30 pm, Middletown Town Council at 6 pm, Middletown School Committee at 6 pm
- Newport: Newport School Committee at 6 pm
- Portsmouth: Portsmouth Board of Canvassers at 3 pm, Portsmouth School Committee – District Building Committee at 4 pm
- Tiverton: Tiverton Historic Preservation Advisory Board at 9 am
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
We’ll See You Out There
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.