Good Morning, today is Sunday, August 7.
🌊 American Revolutionary War General Nathanael Greene was born on this day in 1742. Greene grew up in the Potowomut section of Warwick and later moved to Coventry where he operated his family’s foundry.
🌊 Enjoy the music of Eddy’s Shoe and the Mansfield Band at King Park today from 3 pm to 6 pm.
🌊 Here’s what’s on tap for road construction, lane closures, and traffic delays this week – Rhode Island Road Report: Schedule of lane closures and road construction projects
🌊 ICYMI: Two Newport organizations are receiving some big grants.
- Island Moving Company will receive a $77,280 grant to expand its reach and help to produce the Newport Dance Festival.
- Newport County Development Council will receive $88,358.64 in order to deliver a range of one-day to series events including hosting the Aquidneck Growers Market, Broadway Street Fair, and Outdoor Art Biennial Exhibition.
🌊 On the cruise ship schedule, the next ship to visit Newport is the Norwegian Breakaway (Capacity: 3,963 passengers, 1,657 crew) on August 29.
~ Ryan Belmore
Support local, independent journalism – Consider supporting us with a one-time, monthly, or annual contribution. What’sUpNewp relies on reader support so we can continue to provide you with reliable, independent reporting for our Newport County and Rhode Island communities. Learn More
Advertise to a Readership of 140,000 – Promote your business to our 140,000 monthly readers and 26,000 email subscribers. Includes reporting on impressions, clicks, and cities of our readers. Huge reach on and off the island. Get pricing.
What’s Up Today
- Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 81. Southwest wind 11 to 17 mph.
- Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly between 9pm and midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 74. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Today: SW wind 10 to 15 kt, with gusts as high as 23 kt. Mostly sunny. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Tonight: SW wind 9 to 13 kt, with gusts as high as 21 kt. A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly between 9pm and midnight. Seas 1 ft or less.
- Coastal Water Temperature: 73°F.
Sun, Moon, & Tide
- Sunrise: 5:46 am | Sunset: 7:55 pm | 14 hours & 9 minutes of sun.
- High tide at 3:33 am & 4:11 pm | Low tide at 8:57 am & 10:43 pm.
- Moon: Waxing Gibbous, 9 days, 67% lighting.
Things To Do
- 11 am: Newport History Walking Tours: Golden to Gilded
- 11 am: Coastal Queen’s Lighthouse and Mimosa Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 11 am: Colonial Jewish Walking Tours
- 12 pm to 4 pm: Ketel One Botanicals Spritz Bar at Hotel Viking
- 1 pm & 3 pm: Coastal Queen’s Scenic Bay Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- 3 pm: Piano trios by Haydn and Mozart at Trinity Church
- 3 pm to 6 pm: Concerts in King Park – NIMFest – Sunday Gazebo Concerts at King Park
- 5 pm: Summer Concert Series at Burr’s Hill Park
- 6 pm: Coastal Queen’s Evening Cocktail Cruises departing from Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- For more events and things to do, visit our events calendar.
- Castle Hill Inn: Live Jazz Music from 11:30 am to 3 pm at the Terrace Bar
- Clarke Cooke House: Bobby Ferreira at 12:30 pm
- Fastnet Irish Pub: Irish Sessions from 6 pm to 9 pm
- Fifth Element: Lois Vaughan Jazz Trio at 11 am
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille: Darren Beaupre from 12 pm to 3 pm
- Gurney’s: Rikki Rocksteady Band from 6 pm to 9 pm at The Pineapple Club
- Irish American Club: Karaoke at 9 pm
- Johnny’s at Wyndham: Live music from 3 pm to 7 pm
- King Park: Eddy’s Shoe, Mansfield Band from 3 pm to 6 pm
- La Forge: Dave Manuel from 11 am to 2 pm
- Landing: The Naticks at 1 pm, Jim Devlin at 4:30 pm, Jake Kulak Band at 8 pm
- Narragansett Cafe: Gary Gramolini & The Grinders from 4 pm to 7 pm
- O’Brien’s Pub: George Zecher on Steel Drums from 3 pm to 6 pm, Bingo inside at 7 pm
- One Pelham East: Live music at 5 pm
- Pour Judgement: Los Duderinos at 10 pm
- The Chanler at Cliff Walk: Blues & Jazz music in the Wine Garden from 2 pm to 5 pm
- The Firehouse Theater: Chase Ceglie Jazz Quartet at 5 pm
- The Reef: Brian Scott Duo from 2 pm to 5 pm, Jake Dyl from 6 pm to 9 pm
City & Government
- No meetings are scheduled in Newport County.
- See a full list of public meetings in Rhode Island here.
The Latest from WUN
What’sUpNewp runs on reader support, become a supporter here.
Know someone who might like What’sUpNewp? Let them know they can sign up for our free daily newsletter here.